sony str-dh790 and speakers

turnaround

May 23, 2023
Visit site
I have a sony str-dh790 av receiver in the booklet it says speakers should be in the rang of 8ohms to 16ohms i am looking at the

Wharfedale DX2 (Black)​

5.1 Speaker Package but the speakers are rated at 4ohms can they still be used or will this casuse problems with the receiver?

I have a sony str-dh790 av receiver in the booklet it says speakers should be in the rang of 8ohms to 16ohms i am looking at the

Wharfedale DX2 (Black)​

5.1 Speaker Package but the speakers are rated at 4ohms can they still be used or will this casuse problems with the receiver?
Welcome to the forum.
I think they will be just fine.
For what it's worth 16ohm speakers are very thin on the ground and certainly are not often used for home cinema.
Not sure why Sony state this as there are not many 8 ohm surround systems either

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
Strangely the impedance was omitted from the specs lists of the DX2 that I looked at.
Impedance varies in use and I wonder if the 4 ohm value you've seen is a worst-case figure (probably is).

The only time an 8+ ohm requirement should be strictly adhered to, is on amps where speaker pairs can be switched in parallel - probably not the case for you.

Having said that, in the (rare) case that a user guide specifically requires a minimum of 8 ohms, you wouldn't want the speakers to be dropping lower than 4 ohms.
See if you can research / confirm whether your 4 ohm figure is the minimum that the speaker drops to.

Strangely the impedance was omitted from the specs lists of the DX2 that I looked at.
Impedance varies in use and I wonder if the 4 ohm value you've seen is a worst-case figure (probably is).

The only time an 8+ ohm requirement should be strictly adhered to, is on amps where speaker pairs can be switched in parallel - probably not the case for you.

Having said that, in the (rare) case that a user guide specifically requires a minimum of 8 ohms, you wouldn't want the speakers to be dropping lower than 4 ohms.
See if you can research / confirm whether your 4 ohm figure is the minimum that the speaker drops to.
Yes, Wharfedales own website doesn't quote the impedance strangely enough and nor does any review I have read so not sure where OP got this figure from.
It's obviously designed to accompany a receiver of this price range so they shouldn't pose an issue.

Reactions: Hugh Jarse

turnaround

May 23, 2023
Visit site
Yes, Wharfedales own website doesn't quote the impedance strangely enough and nor does any review I have read so not sure where OP got this figure from.
It's obviously designed to accompany a receiver of this price range so they shouldn't pose an issue.
Hi i got the figure of 4ohms rightly or wrongly from pictures of the speakers themselves and there is a sticker on the back of them which reads 4ohms how ever on the discrip[tion for the subwoofer it says"

WH-D8 Subwoofer Specifications​

• Bass Driver - 8” (200mm) long-throw cone
  • Frequency Response - 40 - 120Hz ±3dB
  • Amplifier Power Output - 70W
  • Crossover Range - 40 - 150Hz
  • Inputs - Stereo line In (2 x RCA phono), mono (LFE), line In (RCA phono)
  • Input Impedance - Line in 10kΩ LFE 5kΩ
  • Features - Low pass filter slope adjustment, Phase inversion, Auto on-off
  • Nominal impedance shown as 4 ohms on back of speakers.
thanks for the help

jjbomber

Wharfedale DX2 (Black)​

Sony's website says 6-16ohm. The good news is that these speakers are on offer at AudioT with £50 off. Their staff are normally excellent, so ask them if there's a store locally.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts