Sony STR-DG910

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, Whilst I've been an avid reader of What Hi-Fi? for many years, I've only just joined the forum today! OK, down to business... I'm most tempted to replace my ageing Sony amp (which has developed various faults after years of unwavering service) with Sony's very own STR-DG910! This model is currently available at £260 (from various online outlets). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of/owns this product and what their verdict is? Looking through the forum posts, it appears that What Hi-Fi? has yet to review it? Or has that situation changed? Many thanks for your time. John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not quite avid enough a reader, John!
emotion-1.gif

It was tested in the November issue, and got four stars, losing out to the STR-DA1200ES and the Award-winning Onkyo TX-SR605.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi John - and welcome on board!

We tested the Sony STR-DG910 in our November issue, which went off-sale last week.

It got four stars (tested at list price of £350), being bettered not only by the Onkyo TX-SR605 (five stars, and just named as our receiver product of the year) but also its older sibling, the Sony STR-DA1200ES (still five stars, last year's POY).

To summarise our review, we felt the 'DG910 was a bit of an oddity. It doesn't offer multichannel analogue inputs or support for any of the HD Audio formats, yet has four subwoofer preouts. Weird... In performance terms, it doesn't have the all-round ability of its older Sony sibling, either - it's accurate and agreeable, but all rather tentative.

So, in short - not a bad product, but you can buy better. Even if you can't stretch to the unbeatable Onkyo, there are some superb end-of-line deals on the 'DA1200ES.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for the very warm welcome! :)

I'll most certainly take your advice and look at both the Sony STR-DA1200ES and Onkyo TX-SR605! I intend using my PS3 with the amp and, doubtlessly, either of these models will extract the best audio performance!

*Update*
Based on budget, I'm leaning towards the Sony STR-DA1200ES! Could you please confirm whether or not it will output a picture signal via HDMI or should I connect my PS3 via TOSLINK interconnect? Thank you again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts