Sony STR-DG820 amp and sky + (standard def)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am after a bit of advice people, I have set my sky + box up to allow dolby digital 5.1 and am using an optical cable from the sky box to the sky optical in on the amp but I do not get 5.1 surround on television broadcast that are DD,

When watching bluray its fine I get all the correct formats of surround sound just with sky I only get 2 channels comming through the optical cable its driving me nuts, any advice is welcome. thanks to all that can help
emotion-1.gif

TV - Sony Bravia KDL 40w4000

Bluray - Panasonic DMP-BD30

Amp - Sony STR-DG820

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
markchino:
Hi,

I am after a bit of advice people, I have set my sky + box up to allow dolby digital 5.1 and am using an optical cable from the sky box to the sky optical in on the amp but I do not get 5.1 surround on television broadcast that are DD,

When watching bluray its fine I get all the correct formats of surround sound just with sky I only get 2 channels comming through the optical cable its driving me nuts, any advice is welcome. thanks to all that can help
emotion-1.gif

TV - Sony Bravia KDL 40w4000

Bluray - Panasonic DMP-BD30

Amp - Sony STR-DG820

Make sure you select the correct input mode for your sky viewing. Then make sure that in sound settings from your Sky remote settings, you have it set to Dolby Digital.

A

Anonymous

I have selected the sound settings in the sky menu to alow dolby digital and I have the amp set up to auto decode but still I only get two channels of audio running to the optical cable to the amp?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
markchino:I have selected the sound settings in the sky menu to alow dolby digital and I have the amp set up to auto decode but still I only get two channels of audio running to the optical cable to the amp?

Is it definitely a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on the programme?

A

Anonymous

Well I did think that.....when I am watching say a film on film4 when I push the information button if DD is displayed I asumed that meant Dolby Digital or am I wrong?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
markchino:
Well I did think that.....when I am watching say a film on film4 when I push the information button if DD is displayed I asumed that meant Dolby Digital or am I wrong?

Aha. Film 4 is nearly always in Dolby 2.0. On SD with Sky, only the film channels will give you DD 5.1 and some of them are in 2.0. If you have films on Sky, try one of them. At the end of the day though, if you are getting Dolby 2.0 come up, your optical cable is working fine as you wouldn't get that with analogue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts