Sony STR-da2400es Question

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

I'm new on here so not sure if this question has already been asked. If so apologies.

I've just ordered the 2400es amp as an upgrade to my current system, and want to confirm the following prior to connecting up:

If i connect my Sky HD box via HDMI will the amp upscale this to 1080p or is the upscaling only applicable to non HD video inputs? i.e component etc.

I'd also appreciate any tips/info/settings that will help me get the best out of my new amp.

Many Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I was about to buy this amp (while also considering the Denon AVR-1910), but I had not realised it would not upscale a normal def signal through the HDMI (only more expensive amps seem to do this I now know). Thanks for posting the question!

I currently only have a Sky+ box, but this has neither HDMI or component. If I get a Sky HD box I assume I'm going to have to upscale from the component output (the piccie I have of the back of a Sky HD box shows component connections). Is this going to be any good? I am very keen on being able to upscale normal TV. I don't really want to have to buy a much more expensive amp.

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
The component ouptut is only available on the early Sky HD boxes. I have a 2 year old Thomson box from my old flat which has component out. I have recently moved into my partners house and upgraded her subscription to HD. The box installed 3 months ago is an Amstrad and has no component output.

I'm now thinking of using my old Sky HD box with the component connected to the amp and using the HD output of the box for my signal to the TV in the bedroom.

A

Anonymous

This is getting too hard - but very many thanks for the very useful info.

How much does one have to spend to get a decent amp that will upscale HDMI? I did not really want to fork out £800!

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Do you really need to upscale HDMI inputs? What screen are you using?

Remember that your screen has it's own scaler and the one you'll get in an AV amp won't necessarily do a better job than your screen.

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I've got a Sony KDL 40W3000 screen. My understanding from the manual was that HDMI inputs werent upscaled and I was just wanting to confirm this.

Never realised that LCD's had scalers. Dont recall seeing that in the manual, so i'll be checking that tonight.

How have you found the amp b33k34? Any tips on settings would be appreciated!

On another subject

I'm wondering if its worthwhile using the component video from the Sky HD box to feed the amp and use the HDMI output to feed my tv in the bedroom so I get a decent picture. Has any one got experience of this??

I'm currently using the RF 2 ouput to the bedroom but its a bit fuzzy. I've tried changing the RF channel ouput on the Sky boxwith no success. Only other things I can think of is:

1) Use a HDMI splitter to feed both the amp and bedroom tv or.

2) Run a scart lead to the bedroom.

Only thing is a quite like the idea of being able to watch HD in the bedroom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts