Sony STR-DA1200ES - poor sound quality optical vs analogue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

I've been frustrated by poor sound quality (lacking mid and bass, tiring treble, poor integration) using my Pioneer DV-533K connected to my Sony STR-DA1200ES via an optical connection to allow the Sony to do the D-A conversion for stereo music and multi-channel material. Powering bi-amped Monitor Audio RS6 floor-standers. Since this is new kit (except the Pioneer) and a new room, I thought the problem was my ears, the amp/speaker mix or the room layout. However as a last-gasp attempt I connected the analogue output from the Pioneer and used Analog Direct on the Sony. Whoosh!!! This was what I was after! Proper high fidelity sound. The problem then is that I can't use analog interconnects for the multichannel sound since it's the Sony that'll be doing the DTS/DD decoding.

So the question is, what gives with the Sony? Is there a fault in the unit causing seriously compromised sound or is this just a fact of life with this model? Frankly if it's the latter then it didn't deserve the glowing reviews it received a few months ago.

I'd really appreciate your opinion and advice.

- Richard

A

Anonymous

Does the amp have a coaxial digital input? If so, us it! I was connected via optical for 4 years and boy do I feel like a fool! Changing to coaxial felt like a blanket had been removed from my hi-fi. You can see the IXOS cable I bought in my signature below and this was on Andrew's advice. It's a no-brainer. There's probably nothing at all wrong with your amp. You may have used a cheap optical cable and you might find a better one does a better job, but after moving to coaxial digital, I'd never ever go back.

A

Anonymous

It's a shame the manual never says which connection the manufacturer would recommend you use! Bit of guidance would never go amiss!

A

Anonymous

I've figured it out! The problem for me was the auto-calibration EQ that was being applied was stripping all the guts out. Setting the 'EQ curve effect' setting to 'Off' (in the Auto Calibration menu) did the trick.

Finally, proper full-blooded sound that I'd been expecting. The sound is now comparable to the direct analogue input setting. Now I can select between the two based on which sounds better on a case-by-case basis. No more neutered sound for me
emotion-1.gif

I haven't swapped between coax and optical (headed to coax yesterday based on your feedback) so I can't say whether this makes any difference. I may play about switching between the two to see if there's any difference and will report back.

Hooray, and thanks for your help guys!

- Richard

A

Anonymous

Please do because I think you'll find another huge improvement when you do!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts