Sony S790 successor release date

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
When is the Sucessor to this model likely to be released from Sony?

From my understaing they've been pushing the same product for the past two years now.

Also, come boxing day sales, where would people advise to go to find a good blu ray player bargin?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression it had been released & is the Sony BDP-A6000.

Now having seen it for myself at Richer Sounds i can't see any picture or sound improvement over the 790, In fact it has less features at present than the 790 which they may be able to increase with a download update.

Regards ...

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
f1only said:
I was under the impression it had been released & is the Sony BDP-A6000.

Now having seen it for myself at Richer Sounds i can't see any picture or sound improvement over the 790, In fact it has less features at present than the 790 which they may be able to increase with a download update.

Regards ...

The successor to the 790 won’t be available until March/April according to Sony. I will get a sneak peek of it at the launch on the 22nd Jan at Sony UK HQ when I go down.

The BDP-A6000 is not it's replacement or as you rightly say as well specified, it is an RS only product with a high price tag.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yup, we normally get invited to the press launches around March/April time so that's when we'd expect to see it. Unless of course anything is unveiled at CES next week. We'll keep an eye out on the Sony stand.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had it confirmed after my meeting yesterday that there will be 4 new models being launched in March along with replacement for the amplifiers under the 2800es. That and the 5800es will continue on through the year.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Now that Ces 2014 has passed, & 4 new blu-ray players announced...

Are any of these the direct sucessors of the s790?
Or are more models expected to be announced on other shows throughout the year?

I was disappointed with there being no native 4k support...

And I was expecting more from a product which has been in hiatus for the previous 2 years.

What event happens in march/ april time which has you convinced the successor will arrive there?

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
vpacalypse said:
Now that Ces 2014 has passed, & 4 new blu-ray players announced...

Are any of these the direct sucessors of the s790?
Or are more models expected to be announced on other shows throughout the year?

I was disappointed with there being no native 4k support...

And I was expecting more from a product which has been in hiatus for the previous 2 years.

What event happens in march/ april time which has you convinced the successor will arrive there?

Yes, there is one that will directly replace the 790. I had a brief run through at my last meeting with Sony around a week ago. I’m attending the official UK launch tomorrow so should be able to shed more light on it then. Sony have slated it's launch/availalbity for March in the UK so it should be in shops as of then.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi vpacalypse. The BDP-S6200 (£200) is as high as the range goes. For now... As has previously been mentioned something may (or may not) be announced March-time...

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t643/themovierooms/IMG_1446_zps2e46e9f0.jpg

Four of the new players, the direct replacement for the 790 is indeed the 6200. This is now slated for a launch in February, the rest follow March and April.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
themovierooms said:

Four of the new players, the direct replacement for the 790 is indeed the 6200. This is now slated for a launch in February, the rest follow March and April.

Oh, if that is the case, I can say I'm slightly disappointed.
I was looking for something very future proof.

So the ability to handle native 4k should have been in there.

I might hold out until a 'dolby vision'capable player is released onto the market.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Not wanting to drop too big a hint vpacalypse, but I have it on quite good authority that the BDP-S6200 won't be where Sony's range ends this year...

As for native 4K, we're still waiting for more news on a 4K disc format that was recently mooted at CES in Las Vegas - hopefully it isn't too far away. It would also be nice to see Sony's Video Unlimited 4K service in the UK (complete with 4K movie server), but it looks like it's only going to be available in the US for the forseeable future...

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
themovierooms said:

The 6200 is being slated as the replacement, but seeing as it is a downgrade from the 790 there must be something else planned.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Just in case you missed it, there will be another player - the BDP-S7200 (should be around £250)...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/new-high-resolution-cdblu-ray-player-launched-by-sony

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Like the 6200 the 7200 also lacks in the connections department compared to the 790, only 1x HDMI and no Digital Out.

No excuse at the price IMO!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts