Sony RDR HXD 890 connection to SKY HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

A friend of mine is planning on buying the Sony to record from SKY HD box as he has too much stuff on the Sky HD box and is tired of constantly deleting.

All the tech specs have an HDMI out but doesn't say if there's an HDMI IN. Can anyone clarify if this will work and if this is the way to connect it?

Thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I have the Sony HXD870 and it's not possible on that model- only one HDMI output, no input. On Sony's site ( http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dvd-recorder/rdr-hxd890 ) you can view and zoom on the rear of the player, and it's the same. So SD only (but you'd presumably have to play the source and record in realtime, rather than download).

If it's purely to act as a dumping ground for excess HD content in his Sky+ HD box, there are bound to be cheaper/faster ways to do it!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
ya, I record stuff from my freesat via the Line 1 input and a scart cable. Bit annoying as I have to remember to leave the freesat on, and on the correct chanel to record anything....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Part of the problem is that the Sky+HD doesn't record TV programmes in a form the Sony could accept, but as a transport stream, which needs to be decoded on playback.

And yes, to avoid piracy, the record output is only available in standard definition.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone - guess he'll just have to do with a dump in SD format.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts