Sony PS3 Vs Samsung DVD HD870

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Will the PS3 upscale standard DVDs and up to what?

As I haven't seen one in operation yet, do you think it is a better proposition than the DVD HD870 for playing DVDs and the occasional Blu Ray bearing in mind the kids would be playing games too

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the PS3 upscales DVDs - to 1080p (since the latest firmware upgrade).

As it should be for the price, it's a better DVD player than the Samsung, and excellent with Blu-ray, too - giving very little away to the pricier players (especially since its recent price-cut).

More on the PS3 here, in case you hadn't spotted it....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare: As my Sammy PS42Q97HDX doesn't accept an 1080p feed, would it be best to set it to 1080p and let the Tv downsacle to 768p or set the PS3 to 720p?

A

Anonymous

Hi also understand that the 40 gb version not backwards compatable with the old ps2/ps1 titles like the 60gb model -is this correct?

A

Anonymous

40gb has no back compatability, 60 gb does - some great deals around for 60 gb version at the moment aswell checkout GAME website

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I am getting sick of people saying that the PS3 has had a price cut as where all it has had is features and HDD space taken away to make a cheaper model making this striped down version of the console more afordible. Now if Sony had left the unit as it stood and made it £299 that would represent a true price cut!
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

D.J the 60gb was 425 and is now 350 with 2 games 75 quid off and ya the stripped down 40gb version for 300 but not bad for a decent blu-ray player aswell

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
It would apear that worldwide more people are getting a PS3 as a BD player and not for the fact it is a games machine. If you look at the sales figures for hardware units sold to games software sold the ratio is very low when compared to Wii and 360.

For me the PS3 is not a option as a BD player as my amp has no HDMI interface so I would not be able to take advantage of the HD sound codecs as I need a player with analog outputs as I have no intensions of upgrading my amp anytime soon.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, me too Krimo. Wish the PS3 had them. Seems the best buy by far.

A

Anonymous

OK....let's throw a spanner in the works:

The Pioneer DVD Player...better than the PS3 and DVD HD870?...and suitable to run with a PS42Q97HDX even though the TV has no 1080p feed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts