Sony PS3 versus Toshiba HD-XE1 for SD-DVD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Would someone please be kind enough to recommend which plays/upscales standard DVD's best out of the Sony PS3 60 gig and the Toshiba HD-XE1?

Thanking you in advance!

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Well I can't do a direct comparison of those two models. However I was lucky to compare a 60gb PS3 and a Toshiba HD-EP30very recently and I slightly prefer the EP30. It's seems just a little bit sharper and more vibrant when I set them both to output at 1080p. The difference is small but just about noticeable to my eyes. Apparently, the XE1 has an even better upscaling chip so I would expect it to outperform the PS3 as far as upscaling goes.

A

Anonymous

Curious as to any of the staffs opinions? I know the PS3 got best DVD player 300-500 pound but I wondered, has the XE1 been tested as yet?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="britlifter"]
Curious as to any of the staffs opinions? I know the PS3 got best DVD player 300-500 pound but I wondered, has the XE1 been tested as yet?

[/quote]
The best DVD player 300-400 is Denon 1940 or Toshiba EP-35(not hd)
And i think you should be comparing something like the £650 Denon 2930 against the Toshiba XE1 not PS3.

A

Anonymous

Still curious as to the staffs opinion, has the XE1 had a review?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it's clearly sitting there in our Buyer's Guide- five-star rated in October 2007 issue.

However, with all the HD DVD announcements in the past week, anyone might want to think twice...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Yes, it's clearly sitting there in our Buyer's Guide- five-star rated in October 2007 issue.

However, with all the HD DVD announcements in the past week, anyone might want to think twice...[/quote]

Thankyou Clare much appreciated, due to bad health I missed that issue. Would you be so kind as to let me know how the staff felt it compared againts the PS3 for standard DVD picture quality?

And also, have you any links to the recent HD DVD announcements? Is it the warner bro's thing or have I missed somethng else!?

Thx!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Latest HD DVD update here.

Re XE1 vs PS3 for standard DVD - well, back then the Toshiba was better (as you'd expect with the price differential), but for the money we felt you could get better DVD playback from a dedicated machine:eek:ur DVD player product of the year, the Marantz DV7001.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Latest HD DVD update here.

Re XE1 vs PS3 for standard DVD - well, back then the Toshiba was better (as you'd expect with the price differential), but for the money we felt you could get better DVD playback from a dedicated machine:eek:ur DVD player product of the year, the Marantz DV7001.[/quote]

Thanks Clare much appreciated! I am still gob-smacked that the Marantz DV7001 beats a Denon 2930 seeing as the Denon has the Silicon optix reon chip in it wheras the Marantz still has the old Faroudja FLi2310 (like the older Denon 2910)

So may I ask how much better with DVD picture quality is the Marantz over the Denon 2930?

Thankyou!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts