Sony PS-HX500 vinyl to hi-res turntable question

nonopus

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone one.
When ripping vinyl to hi-res with the Sony PS-HX500 through its software, would hi-res file capture that ‘vinyl sound’ we all know and talk about or does it not quite work that way, ie is lost when converting to 0 &1’s??
Thank you in advance.

shadders

Hi,
Yes, when you record (A to D conversion) from vinyl, then you will hear the wave playback as if you were listening to vinyl.

Ken Kessler had a column where he said where the recorded (ripped) sound from the LP cutting machine, did indeed sound just like vinyl. Tried to locate the page, but unable to at the moment.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: nonopus

nonopus

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Yes, when you record (A to D conversion) from vinyl, then you will hear the wave playback as if you were listening to vinyl.

Ken Kessler had a column where he said where the recorded (ripped) sound from the LP cutting machine, did indeed sound just like vinyl. Tried to locate the page, but unable to at the moment.

Regards,
Shadders.
Ah interesting. Thank you kindly, appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 108165

It will never sound the same as listening to it in real time playing the LP on a turntable. No disrespect intended, but I've tried it myself, with much better kit than you are using, and have never been satisfied with the results. I gave up in the end and just play the LP if I want that sound.

shadders

Hi,
Here is the link i was referring to :

States :
What they’ll hear just might awaken them to the analogue vs digital fracas because this really does sound like vinyl.

CD exceed vinyl in every way (technically). Obviously, the sound you record will only be the combination of the turntable, tonearm and cartridge.

Regards,
Shadders

Reactions: nonopus and Al ears

daytona600

Virtually all vinyl is cut from digital files for several decades

Only Records are AAA ( Pure Analogue ) digital free

Today, the vast majority of LP produced currently are cut from CD masters, CDs or even MP3s. In our view, these are low-quality ingredients. If there is a general agreement that information is being lost as a result of digitization, this loss of information is already coded in the digital source. Even the best vinyl mastering cannot bring this missing information back

pure-analogue | Eine Vinylschallplatte entsteht

Last edited:

Today, the vast majority of LP produced currently are cut from CD masters, CDs or even MP3s. In our view, these are low-quality ingredients. If there is a general agreement that information is being lost as a result of digitization, this loss of information is already coded in the digital source. Even the best vinyl mastering cannot bring this missing information back

Some of the best recordings are indeed A A A but strangely enough some of the best I have are cut direct from DSD master recordings. And, for what it's worth, I don't think anyone in their right mind would attempt to make an LP from an mp3 files.

Last edited:

TrevC

I have recorded LPs on to an audio CD recorder and the amount of rumble and roar from the vinyl was high enough to prevent the recorder from automatically sensing the tracks. The resultant CD sounded identical to the LP playing.
An LP is always going to be lower quality than a digital file used to cut it, obviously.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts