How to get better sound from speakers/stereo amp system

Cd7

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

I hope this post finds you well.

Earlier this month I ordered a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 Speakers.

Last week, I ordered a NAD D 3020 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier.

These items were both bought to pair up with my new PS-HX500 Sony Turntable.

Last night, I linked up the sound system with KabelDirekt Pure Copper Stereo Audio Speaker Wire.

After doing this and playing a record, I was able to hear sound coming from both Wharfedale Speakers on either side of my TV stand, however the sound was very very low and tinny.

I don't quite know what to do next as I'm very new to all of this, so would really appreciate some advice.

If anymore information is needed please ask.

Thank you in advance.

Cd7

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Yes, they are still attached as they came with the speakers already on the terminals. Is it best to remove them?

Check the switch on the back.of your turntable, is it set to phono?
How is the turntable connected to the amp?
is that amp the original version or does it have a pair of inputs on the back called PHONO?
Do you have any other source like a CD player you could attach?
Asking as the original version of the NAD did not have an inbuilt phono stage, however your turntable does so the position of that switch on the back of it is critical. Move switch to LINE, then see what it sounds like. Turn down volume on your amp first though

Last edited:

Cd7

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
The turntable is connected via the phono cables that came with the turntable in the box and the switch is set to phono too.

I also connected my phone to the stereo amplifier via the Bluetooth setting and the speakers sounded the same also - sorry, should have put that originally!

Gray

Yes, they are still attached as they came with the speakers already on the terminals. Is it best to remove them?
No that's OK. They ensure that a single pair of wires connect to both high and low frequency drivers.
Without the links it's possible to feed only HF or LF.....was just checking you weren't just hearing tweeters 👍

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I hope this post finds you well.

Earlier this month I ordered a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 Speakers.

Last week, I ordered a NAD D 3020 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier.

These items were both bought to pair up with my new PS-HX500 Sony Turntable.

Last night, I linked up the sound system with KabelDirekt Pure Copper Stereo Audio Speaker Wire.

After doing this and playing a record, I was able to hear sound coming from both Wharfedale Speakers on either side of my TV stand, however the sound was very very low and tinny.

I don't quite know what to do next as I'm very new to all of this, so would really appreciate some advice.

If anymore information is needed please ask.

Thank you in advance.
I know it is basic but have you read the instruction manuals which were supplied with each component regarding how to connect them together? Go through the setup procedure again to make sure.

The turntable is connected via the phono cables that came with the turntable in the box and the switch is set to phono too.

I also connected my phone to the stereo amplifier via the Bluetooth setting and the speakers sounded the same also - sorry, should have put that originally!
Try change switch on turntable to Line, that is your issue I believe

Having said that the wiring on those Diamond speakers can easily be gotten wrong.
If they are new I doubt all the woofers have failed so if the OP has both metal plates still in place and has connected his cable to either the top pair or bottom pair of terminals the speakers should work.

Cd7

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
If you can plug headphones into the amp, do you hear normal sound?

Completely fine out of the headphones originally - I had lots of spare cable so thought I’d go back to the manuals and give it a go by just redoing it and putting the metal plates back I place, moved the switch to line and back to phono (after trying line also), it’s worked!

Anyway, big thanks for the advice everyone - don’t know what I did wrong the first time but appreciate everything that was said, I’m sat listening to Alanis Morissette very happily on vinyl right now!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts