Sony Motion Flow

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive got a Sony 200HZ TV and was playing around with the settings recently. I was wondering why I would want to set the Motionflow to minimum or even turn it off? Wouldnt that be pointless and produce worse images?

I just watched this, but am still unsure:

LINK REMOVED - House rules

Anyone enlighten me?

A

Anonymous

wow 60 people have read this and not one response?

Sorry if its a daft question ?

AVLee

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i havent got one myself, but im guessing it could give an unnatural smoothness to moving images depending on the source?

A

Anonymous

From what I understand, motionflow is entirely pointless when both watching Blu-rays and playing video games, it is only useful when watching TV broadcasts, especially sport, to improve the quality of fast movement. This is because it works by creating interpolated additional frames and inserting them between the existing ones to smooth the movement. However, despite what some people (it is a personal choice) and marketing might suggest, it is actually detrimental to watching Blu-Rays. This is because one of the main advantages of Blu-Ray is the ability to display film content at 24 frames per second, which is what the film is natively recorded in. This results in Blu-Rays looking more authentically filmic than DVDs, with slightly jerky film-like movement which is how it should look. However, if you are using motion plus, it will add extra frames in, increasing the frame rate and negating the filmic look, making the image smoother but look more like video than film, which I find undesirable.

Additionally, by adding extra frames to games, you increase the latency (lag) of the screen, with obvious bad results when playing games where reaction time is important.

Ultimately, its for those reasons that I chose a set (see sig) that didn't even have motion plus, as I considered it a waste of time and money. Its up to you when and how you use it, but I would advise unless watching TV or maybe DVD to leave it off, especially on Blu-Ray and games.

Hope that made sense and helped!
emotion-1.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I have a 100HZ motion flow Sony TV and I leave it on medium with great results, like the guy says above it can add a little picture noise, I have noticed on BLU RAY's, only a little bit nothing to worry about and I like the extra smoothness it adds to my PS3 games which IMPO makes it better.

So really it's down to taste.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Generally speaking I hate motionflow

The worst ive ever seen it in action (Until i turned it off for good) was watching a HULK scene wehre banner (Norton) is running down a corridor. The effect was absolutely horrible (And that was on medium setting)

I did quite a bit of experimenting with it. Some programmes looked ok, but most of the time I did notice the motionflow in action which just made it look surreal ~ not my cup of tea at all (A bit like adding tone controls to hifi)

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes,

As I understand it motion flow, (and similar technologies for frame interpolation), introduces extra calculated intermediate frames to try and give the effect that the footage has been created with more frames per second.

The up-side is smoother motion, but the downside is more artifical content, with a different look, and possible artefacts.

Some people like it, some don't. For me, motion isn't bad enough without it, even on a massive screen, for me to accept the potential downside. Starting with 24 / 25 frames per second, and bumping the refresh rate up, introducing extra frames, you could end up watching a film where more of it is generated by the display than is from the original.

A

Anonymous

Hi Organic,

I have the same TV as you and I keep my Motionflow setting to standard for everything except when I'm watching football. I find that the max gives the pic a strange kind of smoothness, as AVLee mentioned earlier. As well as this I also notice a bit of blur and pixellation when its set to max on anything except fast moving action. The max setting is absolutely awesome on Sky HD football - it picks out all of the tiny details while keeping the action super-smooth. Quite a feat.

A

Anonymous

I find motion flow ( and equivalents of ) to really trash the picture quality. Everything seems artificially "sped up" and unnatural. Lots of image detail is lost and anything with movement seems to get a distinctive fuzz around the edge.

Keeping it turned off means the image will remain as good as can be ( for an lcd ) 100hz / 200hz technologies are worthless in my mind.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts