sony kdl40w4500 vs 40w4710

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello all i have noticed that john lewis have the new sony kdl 40w4500 listed as the 4710 im assuming for price matching reasons, so is it pointless im me asking them to confirm that they are the same tv before i purchase it?

i doubt they would admit it, but it would put my mind at ease that i am buying the very same sony award winner featured on this very website!

although i suppose confirmation that they are the same can be seen frm the tech specs!

but maybe i should ask them anyway and see what they say?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
In the past, we've been assured by 'other' manufacturers that TV 'A' (which we've awarded 5 stars to) is exactly the same as TV 'B' (which they're offering as an exclusive model to specific stores). Obviously, we're not about to take anyone's word for it and line up TV 'A' alongside TV 'B'. The differences in performance are as obvious as they are predictable.
If it doesn't say KDL-40W4500, I wouldn't assume it will perform like a KDL-40W4500 - tech specs notwithstanding.

A

Anonymous

the 4710 isnt listed on sony's website either.

so unless i get confirmation that they are one and the same you dont think its the same as the 40w4500?

and even if i do get confirmation due to past experiences you dont think it will perform like a 40w4500?

looks like im stuck between a rock and a hard place then!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
In my experience, retailer-specific 'exclusives' of well-reviewed models don't always match up in performance terms to the product they're based on. It's going to be nigh-on impossible for you to see a 4500 alongside a 4710, unless you know a tame retailer.
I'm going to try to speak to Sony today and see if we can't get a 4710 in.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
It's getting a response that's the real trick. Enquires have been made, messages left... the gigantic cogs and gears have slowly, slowly, begun to mesh...
That was yesterday. Something similar has been happening this morning.

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas:It's getting a response that's the real trick. Enquires have been made, messages left... the gigantic cogs and gears have slowly, slowly, begun to mesh...

That was yesterday. Something similar has been happening this morning.

hi simon

have you heard anything back from sony yet?

matthewpiano

Put it this way, 40W4710 doesn't appear on Sony 1 which is Sony's retailer ordering system and, as a Sony Centre, its not a model number that has been bought to our attention. It certainly isn't a replacement or further enhanced version of the W series and, as the W4500 is one of Sony's multi-channel models (as opposed to the S4000 for example, which is a Sony Centre exclusive), I would be surprised if it is a retailer exclusive. Ask John Lewis for some transparency. What is the actual model number on the box of the TV? CAn they confirm exact tech specs for the TV?

A

Anonymous

victory!!!

john lewis have changed the sony kdl40w4710 model number to 40w4500!!

5 yr guarantees for everybody!!

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
whoo hoo !!

I went into john lewis last week and had a look at this tv, i checked the model number behind the tv and it did indeed say kdl40w4710. this was the standard sticker label found on the back of these tv's. I read the specs card and they were the same as the w4500. i suspect that the only thing that was changed is the sticker label on the back to make it exclusive to john lewis. i did notice though that it has a response time of 8ms, thought the w4500 was 4ms ?

anyhow hope they get rid of the 4710 and just sell the w4500

A

Anonymous

easiest way to tell is that they have the model number on the front of the tv just under and to the right of the sony tag

A

Anonymous

We just ordered one and we're now concerned that we're not getting what we thought we'd ordered.

Anyone got any updates or words of re-assurance.

Brian

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
hi brian

i wouldnt think there anything to woory about, the 4710 has the same specs as the w4500 and the 4710 does not appear on the sony website. my guess is it is the same tv.

I would strongly recommended that you test the tv on arrival and check for backlight bleeding and clouding, this is a problem that has appeared on some w4500 tv's. check out this link for more info http://whathifi.com/forums/t/144898.aspx

if your tv is working great or not please let us know. please post the model nu and where it was made so that we can try and figure out if this problem is due to a bad batch or is affecting random numbers.

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
hi brian

i wouldnt think there anything to worry about, the 4710 has the same specs as the w4500 and the 4710 does not appear on the sony website. my guess is it is the same tv.

I would strongly recommended that you test the tv on arrival and check for backlight bleeding and clouding, this is a problem that has appeared on some w4500 tv's. check out this link for more info http://whathifi.com/forums/t/144898.aspx

if your tv is working great or not please let us know. please post the model nu and where it was made so that we can try and figure out if this problem is due to a bad batch or is affecting random numbers.

A

Anonymous

I've just taken delivery of a 4710 from John Lewis (which they price matched for me). It does say 4710 on the front but all the manuals (there's loads in every conceivable language) say 4500. Hope that clears things up

A

Anonymous

Pete, How is the 4710 working out for you?

I've just taken delivery of one, expecting the 4500.......also my Manuals are for the 4500 - but, on initial signs, all looks good, i'm very impressed.

I did wonder if there was any difference in Spec found? i believed that the 45004710 was advertised as 100hz screen refresh, on the back of mine, above the serial no. its says 50 hz - not anything tied to the number, just "50hz". i don't know if this is referencing the screen refresh or some other processing power?

Naturally i'm assuming the worst - can anyone clarify at all?

A

Anonymous

I've just had one delivered today and was shocked to see a different code on the box!!

I hadn't noticed the code on the JL website beforehand.

After reading this thread and finding some others It would seem that this model Is the same as the 4500. It's meant to be a supplier exclusive model i.e only sold by JL. Although It was also mentioned on French and other Euro forums so obviously It's available over there In the 4710 guise.

So far I'm Impressed, takes a while to get used to a new toy though. But I shall contact JL for model clarification and keep an eye on here for any further updates. Coz If It aint the same as a 4500, It's going back!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Have spoken to JL today and they assure me they are exactly the same.

They could'nt give any reason for the product code difference, not even to say it's a JL exclusive code!!

Not totally convinced as yet...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts