Sony KDL-40EX500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

The range is bigger than last year so some models are additional rather than being straight replacements. The EX-703 is largely an LED lit version of the EX503 and will retail at £1099, which was the original launch price of the W5500. In terms of specification over the EX-503 it adds (along with LED lighting) the ability to play DIVX through USB.

In effect then, the CCFL lit model (EX503) is an additional model which brings the 100Hz/BE3 combination to a lower price point (£899 for 40" instead of £1099). Hence you COULD say that the W5500 has two replacements - a cheaper CCFL version at £899 (40") and a normal W-priced slim LED version at £1099 (40").

If you are really looking for a Z-series equivalent then I guess the HX703 is the closest thing. The 40" is £1199 (again, less than the old Z5500 at launch) with Freeview HD, Deep Black Panel, and 200Hz. This is a CCFL model, hence the small price gap from the EX703.

I'd suggest that instead of getting your information from random websites, you consult www.sony.co.uk for proper, detailed data on all of the new sets.

A

Anonymous

Good, this is clear. It makes sense.

Now let the LCD review magazines drool or chew over them

Can't wait.......let see how these EX do battle.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano: In terms of specification over the EX-503 it adds (along with LED lighting) the ability to play DIVX through USB.

Having got a lovely new EX-503, I can confirm it too plays DIVX. Stuck my usb stick in with a couple of Xvid files and they were played with no problems. Looked reasonable even on the 40 inch screen.

A

Anonymous

ear:yes 8 bit? 10 bit? no mention on the spec sheet.

Does this make much difference ?

I've just got the KDL-37EX503 to replace a KDL-32D3000 and am disappointed with the picture quality in dark areas. The D3000 was a 10bit panel so I'm wondering if that is relevant or that the 37" EX503 is not a Sony panel (?).

It's not a clouding issue nor particularly bad black level, colours just don't seem right compared to the older model (however much playing with settings is done).

The picture is however more detailed/clearer overall with noticeably improved motion handling (improvements in the Bravia engine ?).

A

Anonymous

yes, people are now digging for the unrevealled specs on the new Sony Tvs.At last.

Its all 8 bit panel as in the the V and W series. However, as the W had performance as good as the Z series, 10 bit in the Z didn't make it superior.

What I want to know is the contrast range, is it 100,000??? as in the older series?

It probably is for the EX range up to 703 and beyond[???] and equates to no new improvements!

But I'll wait for the review from what hi fi and the others from Future publications............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts