Sony KDL-40EX500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone bought this yet? It is now widely available in Asia and I have yet to see it reviewed in Europe. I think it has replaced the W series. I saw it in the shop and it looked good but not spectacular - pretty much more of the same in a different box.

A

Anonymous

Argos have advetised the whole EX range. The looks of the sets aren't any more enticing than the old 4500 or newer 5500 series. I woudn't say the EX500 have replaced the W range in anyway. OK,It has the HD Freeview and Wi Fi widget functionality.Do I need it it, No. It's still Bravia 3. The price of the 40 inch model been £899.

No Bravia 4 picture technology, surprising?

matthewpiano

The EX503 IS, in effect, a replacement for the W-series.

We have put the 32" and 40" EX503 sets on display this morning and they look much nicer in the flesh. The Freeview HD is really good - we're receiving BBC HD Preview and ITV1 HD through the set's built-in tuner and it looks every bit as good as Sky HD.

Bravia Engine 3 is excellent, so why make unecessary changes when the budget can be spent on improving functionality of the internet related features etc. I'd also say the build quality is a step better than the outgoing W5500 sets as well. Things like the HDMI ports etc. have a much more solid feel to them than the older sets. There have also been improvements to the menu system and further new features such as the ambient sensor.

The real relevation for me, however, is the improved performance of the entry-level sets. The EX301 32" is a good bit better than the old S5500.

A

Anonymous

Another thing Matthew, The Argos catelogue of Specs don't quote contrast but does for the other TV sets. Again, if Sony can up the contrast beyond 100,000 then yes an inprovement.So is there an increase contrast for the 40 inch EX500?

Contrast levels is an upmost definining quality - very important one that the untrained human eye instantly pick up.Now If there was an ultimate LCD/LED TV, the contrast would go off the 'current scale'.

The RGB
emotion-21.gif
color palett improvement in other sets are going to cause a stir, a billion colors that can be displayed.Wow. That's a milestone improvements to LCD, not more of the same but brand new technology.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matthewpiano. I have spent ages looking at the EX503 in my local shop and it looks about the same quality as the outgoing W series. The spec is also very similar, so I can't really see where the improvement is apart from a "facelift"? Do you think the bad press regarding the backlighting on the old range made Sony basically repackage and rename it?

matthewpiano

Don't forget that the EX503 range is quite a lot cheaper than the W5500 range was at launch, for similar performance and improved functionality.

There are also now more models above this specification than there has been in the past.

matthewpiano

ear:SO EX301 has bravia 2 as the S5500?

Yes it does, but again it is cheaper than the S was at launch. KDL32S5500 - £549 at launch, KDL32EX301 - £449 at launch. Picture looks cleaner than S series as well.

A

Anonymous

I have had a close inspection of the Ex5xx series at my local Sony Centre.

The front

The front panel borders- a one piece plastic with a perspex laminate. As in the V series.

The W series had a two piece plastic and laminate layed - much better in style

The EX does have a grey brushed luminium panel bolted onto the borttom edge. Does it make it nicer?

The Back:

As in the V and W, same rear thickness with the network socket moved to the back. Don't see any improvements here

OK, it is A class energy efficent..so that's an inprovement on the V and W series.

If the insides are the same as the older model then its jolly good TV

Backlight consistency????

The base plinth of the EX look less sturdy than the V and W series.

Overall, I don't think Sony could significantly improve on the W series.

The 32 inch cost £699!

A

Anonymous

ah ear , thats cheeky
emotion-4.gif
, i say we should give sony a clean slate , i cant wait for this years reviews to appear here , the kuro should be finally beaten
emotion-19.gif

matthewpiano

I'm not getting drawn into this. The best advice I can give anyone interested in purchasing a new TV is to go along to view the sets with your own eyes. Ultimately that is still the only way to choose a new set.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Im just waiting for them to arrive here in Portugal.I want to see that new thing 3D..I just dont understand why an old tv cant display

matthewpiano

Sizzers:Have you not been able to do a side-by-side comparison with the outgoing models in your shop? @ Matthew.

Yes I have and I would agree that in performance the EX503 is very similar to the W5500. The fact that it is £200 cheaper at launch only goes to show that Sony have lowered the price point for this level of performance whilst also adding additional functionality such as the Freeview HD, Bravia Internet Video and revised menus. The EX503 is a W-series equivalent in performance and the basic spec but the price-replacement for the W is the EX703 which isn't out yet. It will be interesting to see how that model compares.

A

Anonymous

Isn't the Ex703 pitched against the Z series and not the W series?? Of course it is as the EX503 40 inch is £899 at Argos and that is about the W series price range. The Ex703 40 inch is probably 1K or more and that is Z4xxx or Z5xxx series territorry.

It's the NX range that is Sony's show case not these Exs!

Sony have not invested enough R and D to make a clear break of advancing from the W series in the current Exs.

They got 3D in their sights instead. The Ex are just rehashed old models with new paint.

matthewpiano

notherealakinanakamura:
Isn't the Ex703 pitched against the Z series and not the W series?? Of course it is as the EX503 40 inch is £899 at Argos and that is about the W series price range. The Ex703 40 inch is probably 1K or more and that is Z4xxx or Z5xxx series territorry.

It's the NX range that is Sony's show case not these Exs!

Sony have not invested enough R and D to make a clear break of advancing from the W series in the current Exs.

They got 3D in their sights instead. The Ex are just rehashed old models with new paint.

Sorry but this is wrong. Looking at 40" as an example, take a look at the launch prices of W-series models over the last few years - all £1k+ - and then look at the £899 launch price for the EX503. Launch price of the 40W5500 was £1099- £200 more than the new 40EX503. Add in the improved internet functionality and the Freeview HD tuner, and there really is little to complain about.

As for writing off the EX range in that way when you haven't even seen most of it......

You've also completely missed out the HX and LX ranges.

I respectfully suggest you do a little more research before making pronouncements on these things.

A

Anonymous

From what I can see, there isn't a Z series replacement. After EX503, all other models (EX6 and 7 series) are LED backlighted. I think the NX series are 3D Tv's. I am very keen to see the 6 and 7 series LED backlighting and I am guessing its probably the same panel used in Samsung, but coupled with Bravia 3 and motionflow, it should be amazing!

A

Anonymous

So what model does the EX 703 replace of the old,if any, if not the Z series? OK, forget price comparisons??

Is it a new model pitched above the W performance.Yes or No Or Maybe..it has a 10bit panel??

That's the simple question.YOU [MP}OUGHT TO KNOW.

Edited.....

PS: http://www.kdl32ex703.co.uk/

I can't decide even after reading this....only the high end NXs in the 40 inch range have LED and 200hz motionflow to take it above

the W series.So are they the Z replacement then? So if you guys want a really new improved 2D W Sony you have to go NX this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts