Sony KDL-32V5500 Audio in

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I bought a Sony KDL-32v5500 that I am now trying to set up as a media center. For this reason I am connecting my computer using a DVI to HDMI cable and presumably I should be able to have sound by using the sound in for HDMI1 and PC. Nonetheless this is just a plastic thing which seems very suspicious. And when I plug an RCA from my SPIDF output from my PC to this I get no sound using a coaxial digital audio cable with RCA connectors. Does anyone has ever used this port? Because presumably is available according to the specifications on the sony website this port is present on this model. My question is this a really port? Or is just a plastic cap where the port was expected to be?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, firstly you won't get sound via HDMI as you are using a DVI-HDMI cable and the DVI output on your PC can only output video not sound. Which means you have to use a separate audio connection to this TV.

You mention you're using the SPDIF output on your PC and therefore I assume you are trying to connect this into the Digital Audio Out optical connection next to the standard PC/HDMI 1 Audio In socket - this won't work - as it says on page 22 and 23 of the manual, the optical port on this TV (port 4) is a a digital optical output, not an input, designed to allow you to output sound from the TV into a home cinema amplifier / receiver.

You need to be using port 6 i.e. the PC in ports, which will require a standard 3.5mm cable from your PC into the TV. What's not clear is if you can use this at the same time as the HDMI input i.e. have video displaying on the HDMI input and sound coming from the PC input. My gut feeling is you can't (it would be unusual functionality from within a TV) and you would therefore need to get a DVI-VGA converter and a standard VGA cable to allow you to connect your PC to the VGA input (port 6) for video, plus the aforementioned 3.5mm cable for sound and just use the PC input for everything.

All of this is based on the assumption you have no external sound system and are trying to use the TV for both picture and sound.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I wasn't very clear.

Okay, firstly you won't get sound via HDMI as you are using a DVI-HDMI cable and the DVI output on your PC can only output video not sound. Which means you have to use a separate audio connection to this TV.

I know that, that is exactly why I am using the SPDIF output.

You mention you're using the SPDIF output on your PC and therefore I assume you are trying to connect this into the Digital Audio Out optical connection next to the standard PC/HDMI 1 Audio In socket

I am not using the optical output only the RCA SPDIF output (http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/products/dFAMIWrZWGgB1GuJ/8Q9wR8CyWm9cMQEw_500.jpg) Is the one between the PS2 and ethernet connector. And for that purpose I bougth this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Profigold-BA-PGD481-Digital-Coaxial-Lead/dp/B0000BX71U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266574414&sr=1-1

You need to be using port 6 i.e. the PC in ports, which will require a standard 3.5mm cable from your PC into the TV.

Are you saying that this is in fact just a normal 3.5mm port on the TV itself also?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Bacms:Are you saying that this is in fact just a normal 3.5mm port on the TV itself also?

Hmm looking at in the manual (page 22 - port 6 shows the PC input connections), it looks like it is but it isn't particularly clear. It normally is on most TVs I've seen at any rate, though given you have the actual TV it should be easier for you to see! I can see now that it does say underneath it PC/HDMI 1 Audio in which means it may well be assignable to the HDMI 1 input, though I can't see clearly where you do this from the rest of the manual except maybe Target Inputs under the Sound and Screen menus (pages 36 and 37).

A

Anonymous

Well like you said I have the TV and I will borrow a VGA and converter from the office so I will be able to try everything today, both with the HDMI and PC input. Like you said they both should work according to the manual so I will post some news this night hopefully.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts