Sony HX853 panel type info

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am trying to find out the type of panel/matrix that the Sony 40HX853 has.

I have recently read that the 40" version has a cheaper S-PVA panel compared to the larger 46/55" versions which have a more advanced S-PVA with PSA panel.

I was under the impression, having seen a tear down of the 40"er that all 3 sizes had the same type of S-PVA/PSA panel.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks, Jason

D

Deleted member 2457

Slooper said:
Hi, I am trying to find out the type of panel/matrix that the Sony 40HX853 has.

I have recently read that the 40" version has a cheaper S-PVA panel compared to the larger 46/55" versions which have a more advanced S-PVA with PSA panel.

I was under the impression, having seen a tear down of the 40"er that all 3 sizes had the same type of S-PVA/PSA panel.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks, Jason

I have read that the 853's all have the same panel, and all produce the same picture quality.

D

Deleted member 2457

Slooper said:
Great, thanks for the help.

No probs.
smiley-smile.gif

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just been searching a few forums and apparently the 40 version DOES have a different panel than the 46/55" versions.

Got this from an Italian forums www.avmagazine.it and one of the mods sneekily took his magnifying camera to a store and photographed the panels of the 40" and 46" hx853s (HX855 in this case) and found the following:

40HX853:

http://imageshack.us/a/img513/5666/lcdkdl40hx855.th.jpg

46Hx853:

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/2430/lcdkdl46hx855.th.jpg

So the 40 uses an older S-PVA panel and not the S-PVA PSA panels of it's older brothers.

I have purchased the 40" version and now feel a little miffed. Do you think this means that the larger panels perform better than the smaller one. I do game at lot on mine and have been noticing a lot of inverse ghosting/black smearing that is quite ugly. Do you think upgrading to the larger 46" screen would eradicate this black smearing? May even swap the TV for a panny DT50.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't read too much into an Italian forum if I were you as it's not certain that these are even the same tvs that are being sold in the UK, What I will say is that my 46HX853 has none of the ghosting/black smearing that you mention when gaming and I'm an avid gamer myself in fact I've found the tv fantastic for gaming when in either of the Game modes so I've no idea what is going on with your 40inch version.

D

Deleted member 2457

Slooper said:
Just been searching a few forums and apparently the 40 version DOES have a different panel than the 46/55" versions.

Got this from an Italian forums www.avmagazine.it and one of the mods sneekily took his magnifying camera to a store and photographed the panels of the 40" and 46" hx853s (HX855 in this case) and found the following:

40HX853:

http://imageshack.us/a/img513/5666/lcdkdl40hx855.th.jpg

46Hx853:

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/2430/lcdkdl46hx855.th.jpg

So the 40 uses an older S-PVA panel and not the S-PVA PSA panels of it's older brothers.

I have purchased the 40" version and now feel a little miffed. Do you think this means that the larger panels perform better than the smaller one. I do game at lot on mine and have been noticing a lot of inverse ghosting/black smearing that is quite ugly. Do you think upgrading to the larger 46" screen would eradicate this black smearing? May even swap the TV for a panny DT50.

I got my information from a reliable source Digital Versus. The same results were for the 46 inch one as the 40 inch. If I was you I would buy the bigger one though. Bigger the better when it comes to TVs.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-kdl-46hx853-p13464/test.html

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I Contacted RS today and mines going back tomorrow, if I only used the TV for gaming occassionaly then I probably wouldn't bother, but seeing as it's main use is a monitor/gaming TV then I don't want to put up with these smearing problems. I'm not sure I want to risk the 46" version now, having read a few reviews that mentions overdrive trailing as well.

I still think the 40HX853 is a lovely TV, but I think its shortcomings do become more appareent when using the TV for anything other than TV/movies.

Cheers, J

D

Deleted member 2457

Slooper said:
Thanks for your reply. I Contacted RS today and mines going back tomorrow, if I only used the TV for gaming occassionaly then I probably wouldn't bother, but seeing as it's main use is a monitor/gaming TV then I don't want to put up with these smearing problems. I'm not sure I want to risk the 46" version now, having read a few reviews that mentions overdrive trailing as well.

I still think the 40HX853 is a lovely TV, but I think its shortcomings do become more appareent when using the TV for anything other than TV/movies.

Cheers, J

No probs. Ah okay, are the Panasonics any good when it comes to gaming? Because on normal TV the GT 50 is brilliant!

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Panny plasmas are excellent gaming TVs IMO, IF you game on a PC at 60fps+. If you game on a console then you may notice some juddering from games that are 30fps, but 60fps gaming on a plasma is silky smooth with superb motion. However, most console games this generation are 30fps which could be a problem for some. Gaming on a plasma you can also get some temporary image retention, but proper screen burn is unlikely with newer plasmas (but not unheard of).

A

Anonymous

Got my 40' HX855 today and also noticed the black smearing while gaming.

So it seems Sony DOES use different panel for the 40' :/

TRENDING THREADS