SONY HTIS100 - any reviews ?

chrisku

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone own this system or seen any reviews. I am very interested in purchasing this system but would like to know if its any good ?

A

Anonymous

Bought this system last month to pair with a new Sony LCD and S550 blu-ray. Sound is crystal clear which is amazing when you consider the 'golf ball' sized speakers. I've watched numerous blu-ray movies with DTS master audio and I'm happy with the performance. You should note that the amp itself can't decode DTS master audio so make sure your blu-ray player does that if it's a requirement (hence the reason I bought the S550).

The amp/sub unit is big and heavy (about the size of a mini-tower PC). I also don't like that they've put the amp display on the top of the unit meaning that if you sit quite far away you'll not be able to see the current volume level very well. Those are about the only negatives I think you could find with this kit.

Neat features - has a 'night mode' you can turn on to lower volumes without losing the surround effect. You also get a microphone with the system to run an automated calibration of the speaker volume levels - and it actually works
emotion-1.gif

Here's a few pictures I've quickly taken (forgive the spaghetti, haven't got round to tidying up yet):-

system.jpg

speaker.jpg

amp.jpg

connections.jpg

Hope this helps
emotion-1.gif

chrisku

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
thanks a lot for that information. I was thinking about getting the system with wireless rear speakers. can you buy speaker stands for the rears and also do the speakers come with any brackets so that i can fasten them to my backboard of my tv unit ?

A

Anonymous

One other thing to bear in mind with Sony's systems with the golf ball speakers, is that the sub/amp unit needs to stay quite close to the tv as it tends to handle a fair bit of the mid-range sound. In my experience, if you put the sub in a corner away from the tv for example, the sound can appear to come from one side of the room which gives quite an odd sensation.

A

Anonymous

chrisku:thanks a lot for that information. I was thinking about getting the system with wireless rear speakers. can you buy speaker stands for the rears and also do the speakers come with any brackets so that i can fasten them to my backboard of my tv unit ?

Not sure about stands, I would imagine so. Speaker dimensions in the manual given as 45 x 55 x 40 mm (w/h/d).

5 brackets are included for the speakers.

The central speaker has an IR unit on the bottom for the remote control but the manual instructs you on how to remove it easily should it need to be positioned elsewhere.

Not using the S-Air wireless system myself so I can't comment on it.

matthewpiano

Yes, Sony makes stands for the golf ball sized speakers. They don't come cheap. About £70 a pair.

The S-AIR kit works well but just be aware that it is not completely wireless as it requires power to the rears and a link between the two. It is the lack of wires running from the surrounds to the amp that makes the kit valuable.

Agree completely with Alsina's observations. The placement of the sub is absolutely critical. Whereas a sub would normally handle only low frequencies which are largely non directional, this one provides a lot of midrange as well, which is directional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts