Sony hap-s1 and bookshelf speaker selection

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

it’s been a while since my last post, but I need some more of your valuable feedback.

I’m looking Into a Sony hap-s1 as a potential all in one set-up for a kitchen/ /dining room. It seems to cover all the bases, with internet radio, airplay and potential analogue rca inputs for phone amps, etc.

My question is twofold - thoughts on the unit, and speaker selection.......

I was considering monitor audio gold/gx50, or even tannoy Revolution xt minis. I wanted small foot print bookshelf speakers, but still good detailed, punchy sound. Will the Sony drive these ok?

I could team them up with a spare audiolab 8200p power amp, but it’s appealing to simplify things with an all in box set-up, especially considering it’s location.

Thanks

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
The original Neat Iotas are dinky little speakers, happy close to a wall, designed to be wall mounted and are a lovely listen. Do a google as you can often pick up "slight cosmetic seconds" for £450 a pair. Mine were seconds and couldn't find a mark anywhere. Available in white and black and you can no also get grilles for them. I have them in a largish room and folk often ask where the subwoofer is!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Please check the specification of the HAP-S1. I don't think Airplay is supported and streaming features are very limited. There were problems with the VTuner internet radio support which may now be ok, but best if you check thoroughly if it meets your needs

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
nick8858 said:
The original Neat Iotas are dinky little speakers, happy close to a wall, designed to be wall mounted and are a lovely listen. Do a google as you can often pick up "slight cosmetic seconds" for £450 a pair. Mine were seconds and couldn't find a mark anywhere. Available in white and black and you can no also get grilles for them. I have them in a largish room and folk often ask where the subwoofer is!

Do you have the neat lota's wall mounted or on a desk. Do you think placing them on a side board table close to the wall works. And do they need powerful amplification, or will they be okay with 25w per channel at 8 ohms. Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

And sorry for hijacking the thread.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine are on wall mounted quarter inch plate glass shelves with the back of the speaker maybe 3 inches from the wall? My amp isn't the most powerful either and at 50% per cent volume setting plenty of volume to fill a large high ceiling room. I DO have a sub but to be honest most of the time I don't bother. i do like pipe organ music which as you may know goes very low in frequency terms but I am quite happy with the Iotas on their own

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Mine are on wall mounted quarter inch plate glass shelves with the back of the speaker maybe 3 inches from the wall? My amp isn't the most powerful either and at 50% per cent volume setting plenty of volume to fill a large high ceiling room. I DO have a sub but to be honest most of the time I don't bother. i do like pipe organ music which as you may know goes very low in frequency terms but I am quite happy with the Iotas on their own

:)

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on the lack of airplay on the Sony. Another option I was considering was the Technics SU-G30

Again, thoughts, comments and suitability for application?

insider9

My worry with Sony would be low power and high distortion figures quoted. It may do a job for a small room and efficient speakers but small speakers usually aren't very efficient. What's worse it won't work with a power amp as it only has line outs not pre outs.

Technics looks far better on paper, but so it should for the money.

Question would be what are the most important features here are how much are you realistically looking to spend?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts