SONY DAVIS10 DVD/HOME CINEMA SYSTEM

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well...

What a system!
emotion-1.gif

I helped my girlfriends folks choosing this as they fell in love with my Bose Lifestyle 48 system when they first heard it but as they have just spent £3k on a Cyrus and B&W hi-fi (again my fault haha...) they didnt want to speand more than £1000 on a surround sound system for their living room. They listen to more music that watch films!

Anyways i set it up the other night for them (moved all furniture out of the way, rolled the carpet back and layed the wires) and got the sounds all sorted with the very handy tuning mic.

It sounds fantastic. The speakers are amazing for the size and really liven up the films now in comparison to their old system.

Anyways, one tiny gripe...

The umbilical that connects the sub unit to the main DVD/output unit is only 3m long. I was planning to have the sub in the corner directly opposite the TV (like ithe way ive got my Bose system set up) but it wont reach that far. I thought the cord was 5m long!

Anyways, the connection to the sub is like a computer scart connection, does anyone know whether an extension can be bought/made for this (by Maplins or similar) and if so, would it effect the sound quality in any way?

Thanks for all/any advice
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I really wouldn't advise it. That cable's short for a reason: as the sub is handling so much midrange as well as bass (because of the miniscule size of the sats), it needs to be near the front three speakers for the ideal sonic set-up....

A

Anonymous

Dan,

I have just encountered your problem too! I read the reviews in What Hi, went to the local Sony Centre (who were useless) and finally bought the Sony KDL32D3000 LCD TV from John Lewis, which integrates with the DAV IS10.

I was going to buy the DAV IS10 last night from Richer Sounds (who were very helpful) only to learn that the dedicated lead is only 3m long to the Sub! This would leave the sub right slap bang next to my fireplace. Richer Sounds said it looked like a standard serial computer connection lead and and extension can be bought from Maplins, 3m for £10. However this would leave a great big connector that couldnt be hidden.

I also downloaded the Sony user manual last night and they are VERY specific about where the Sub can be placed.. again somthing Sony did not illude to, and to be fair the What HiFi review doesnt really suggest that either.

The only place that I can think to put it now is directly behind the TV, but the manual warns that this will reduce the mid range... so maybe this system is not as perfect as first thought... unless you have a perfectly square room, and dont mind a big sub box sat on the floor by your TV on full view, which defeats the object in the system being covert!

Clare - Where abouts is the mid range speaker in the sub, is it the speaker on the top, in which case I wouldnt have thought placing it behind the TV would affect the mid range?

A

Anonymous

Has any one else purchased one of these systems? The more reviews that are coming out, the less this system appears to be recomended, unless you can have the 'perfect' set up.

A

Anonymous

Type in 'Sony Dav-is10' in the search engine at the top of the page. It has had a fair amount of comment.

TRENDING THREADS