Sony DAV IS 10 Setup with TV (scart only)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just bought a Sony DAV IS 10, my first surround sound system. I'm quite impressed by the quality sound I get.

Ony trouble: How to set it up with my fairly old TV, which only has 2 scart ports.
1 is used by the freeview box, so the other one I want to use to connect to the Sony system.

I've used a scart to Video / Audio left / Audio right cable (I don't know the proper terms, but those 3 plugs, red, white and yellow) with switchable input and output lead. Works ok, I can get the sound from both the TV and the freeview box through the Sony system. But I also need to setup the TV to work with the system, and that doesn't work. The system menu never appears on the TV screen. So I suspect somehow the signal from the Sony system to the TV is not coming through?

I've tried using the switch both ways, no luck.

Is there any way to get this done? Is there a cable which is bidirectional?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers, Marco

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The cable you have now can only do input or output, thanks to that switch, not both. What you really need is a cable like this

which is available from Maplin.

It's a conventional Scart cable - and Scarts are bi-directional - with the added benefit of audio split out.

Use the Freeview box for watching TV, and not the TV's own tuner, and connect this cable between the set-top-box and the TV, with the split off plug at the Freeview box end, and the audio out connectors into the Sony system.

For video out from the Sony system, use the cable you have now, and run video out from the Sony system into the TV. You'll need to set the TV to accept 'video' input rather than 'S-video' or RGB.

A

Anonymous

Brilliant, thanks for your prompt reply!

Sounds like a great idea, but think our TV only has 2 scart ports and no audio ports at the back. The TV does have audio ports at the front, but these are very impractical to reach and not sure if they even work!

Please let me know if I've misunderstood. Ideally we'd need a solution where only a scart port is required in the TV and no audio ports. Any idea!?

Cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cable mentioned above from Freeview to TV, with the audio out plugs on that cable into the line audio ins on the DAV-S10.

Cable you have - switched to input mode - with composite video phono (usually yellow) into the Sony's video out, and the Scart plug at the other end into the TV's other Scart socket.

A

Anonymous

That question and that reply (x2) sums up everything that is so good about this forum.

A+ Everard minor

A

Anonymous

Andrew - followed your advice for the setup of the Sony DAV IS10 with TV & freeview, but with a Humax PVR 9200T as the freeview box. I bought the two leads from Maplins as suggested as my previous DVD player had SCART connections, unlike the Sony.

However, came across a problem I didn't expect, the new SCART lead will not fit into the TV socket of the Humax (it will go into the other socket, ie the VCR socket, but that doesn't transfer the sound coming from the freeview into the DVD). On inspecting the old SCART lead supplied by Humax linking the TV & Humax successfully previously, that was missing pin 12 at both ends - is this the reason why it won't fit, ie is the new lead with a pin 12 coming up against some obstruction in the Humax socket? i've googled for ways of removing a SCART pin but all seem a bit destructive, & I'm not feeling happy at the prospect of damaging it

Any suggestions

Regards

Simon Morris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts