Sony DA2400ES - 3 general questions.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, I have three quick questions about the Sony 2400ES receiver if that's okay.

I've had it for a couple of years now but never got around to asking these questions! :) My system is a simple 5.1 set up. 2 TDL fronts (which have Hi & Lo output - 4 terminals), 2 rear Tannoys, a Yamaha sub and a Celesteon CSC centre. So here are the questions:

1. The centre speaker is woefully quiet. I've tried the auto setup (with the mic) and manual. If I put the centre at +10 and the others at around -5 it's okayish, but the volume needs to be pushed to around 25 to get anything half decent. This is because I've had to reduce the other speakers so much to try to balance the centre. As a side note, the centre is about 18 years old and says 6ohms on the back. The rest are 8ohms and the amp is set to 8, rather than 4. Might this be the reason? Do I just need a new centre? :/

2. As I said before, the 2 fronts have 4 terminals each, hi & lo. The receiver can do hi and lo if I use 'Front A' for Lo and 'Surround Back' for Hi. This however means I cannot have surround sound. At the moment I am basically twisting the black hi & lo and putting it into a single Front A terminal and the same for the red. Is this right or have I missed something completely with the receiver?

3. Sometime I just want to use the TV speaker for casual Jeremy Kyle I can set the HDMI output to TV+AMP to get this, however when I use my Xbox in this mode, I can't get the blue light to display (aka DD). When I put AMP only, then it's fine, but of course I get nothing through the TV. Can I fix this?

That's all, hope some of you can help!

Many thanks
biggrin.gif

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I also have a 2400ES and love it to bits, the best 400 squid I ever spent.

In the first instance, set the amp as 3.1 and use one of your surrounds as a centre, this will help you decide if your amp is faulty or your centre speaker is just pants. Use the test tone in manual set up to gauge the levels, it may just be that your old centre is just very inefficient.

Second thing, If I understand correctly, you can bi-amp the fronts AND get surrouns sound if you set it up properly. The surround terminals continue to work, the surround BACK terminals become the second feed to your fronts, obviously, you are then limited to 5.1 not 7.1. I've never bothered as you can't bi-amp the centre at the same time.

Thirdly, this is correct operation. If you have the sound output set to 'TV & AMP' the amp will default to the number of channels on the TV, in your case STEREO so the blue 'multi channel' light will not illuminate and all sound will be downmixed and output as stereo.

Hope this helps!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts