Sony Bravia vertical lines of Death

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
I have the formerly excellent Sony KDL-52W4500 TV and it's been brilliant for just under three years.
Now it's developed the notorious vertical Green Stripes Of Death on the left hand side of the screen, at first just one, then two, now it looks like a barcode!
In Norway, we have a five year warranty on consumer goods like TVs, washing machines, mobiles, etc, but Sony are refusing to honour the warranty for the screen after two years for some reason or other.

Now when you spend over £2200 on a TV surely the expected lifespan should exceed three years?

I remember reading somewhere (!) that Sony UK had admitted some quality control issues with the W4500 series from a few years back and had a repair/replace program activated.

Has anybody here any experience with the GSOD on their Sony screens and if so, what was the outcome?
It may help my case over here if I have proof of a manufacturing defect regarding this series of TV.

Looks like my next TV will have to be the Samsung UE55ES8005 that has built in Skype, voice control, kinnect-like motion control, etc, etc. . . . . and a manufacturer that stands behind it's products perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any info you can come up with!

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
:pray: Well, baste my ten toes and cover me in gravy!

After months of fruitless emails to Sony Customer Service here in Norway, it may be a coincidence but less than 24 hours after posting my plight on these hallowed pages, I received a mail this morning declaring that my case is "to be reviewed" again to see if it warrants action.
The power of the press or just a lucky break?

As Charlie Harper says "the plot moistens!"

matthewpiano

I recall some issues with these sets as I was working in a Sony Centre at the time, but I can't remember specifics. Certainly the X4500 models had panel issues such as the one you describe and I remember us having to get the panel replaced for several customers who had purchased this TV.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

Although the Sony behemoth seems to have had a change of heart as I mentioned, and are to "judge" my claim again.

I can't help observing that before flat tellies were on the horizon, sets used to last for ages.

Nowadays it feels like they are engineered to last *just* a few months outside of the standard warranty so they can sell you a new one.

I understand the market principle of product saturation - if TVs lasted forever then sales would come to a crawl when everyone had one, but the arrogance of companies that reply with something akin to "well, it's almost three years old now so it's junk, go buy our new model" when there is an obvious manufacturing defect, beggars belief sometimes :wall:

Seems poor old Sony has had a rough time with quality control recently, what with the clouding issue, now the stripes after a few years, some sets dangerously overheating and the mysterious "dark folds" on the newer sets.

I actually remember it being a status symbol to get a Japanese made precision monitor from the Sony Corporation, but my last few sets from this company have been made in Wales (no offence), Slovakia and Hungary (I think).

There was a time when companies were embarrassed if an expensive component like a high end TV or stereo system broke down and would do everything they could to retain customer loyalty and ensure end user satisfaction.

I have an old Archos portable PVR that cost £200, the screen backlight went out after four years, I emailed the head office in France and they arranged a courrier to pick it up the same day, it was returned within the week with a new screen, battery, updated software and a case - and an apology!
Do you think I recommend the Archos brand to everyone who asks me about portable devices - of course :clap:

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Well, Sony finally got back to me regarding the replacement LCD panel for my beloved KDL-55W4500.

There isn't one available anywhere, so hats off to Sony who agreed to refund the purchase price in full, leaving me free to choose any set and any brand.

My faith is somewhat restored, although it took the threat of legal action to get a satisfactory outcome!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Good to hear Sony did the right thing. They did right by me too, albeit a different model.

I used to think it was a disgrace how quickly things went defunct now, until I found a receipt for my last premium CRT in 2003. £1200 for a 32" SD set. I recently bought a Samsung 32" LCD 1080p set for £270. I think 5 of those will outlast the period I had the CRT for :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts