Sony BDPS370 v Cambridge Audio 650BD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Afternoon everyone!

I would greatly appreciate any guidance as to whether I should buy the Sony S370 or the Cambridge Audio 650BD. I would only use the Sony for Blu-ray, and the Cambridge Audio for Blu-ray/DVD and CDs (i.e. I am not interested in any other formats either is capable of playing).

My current system is LG 42" 1080p tv, Cambridge Audio 640R receiver, Cambridge Audio DVD99, Mordaunt Short speakers - 916i, 902i, 905i and 309i.

I would be very grateful for any input as to whether:

1. There is likely to be any noticeable difference between the two in terms of picture quality?

2. There is likely to be any noticeable difference between the two in terms of sound quality (in view of my system)?

3. Finally, does anyone have any idea how the Cambridge Audio DVD99 compares - as far as CDs are concerned - with the Cambridge Audio 650BD?

Have a great weekend!!

Cheers,

John

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're only going to use the Sony for BD will you be getting a separate CD player.?
If not then I think it's going to be a pretty good answer that would convince anyone to spend four times more on a component compared to the other.
I have a Sony S570 & a Marantz BD5004 (around the same price as the CA) prob not fair to compare the two as they connected to different screens and the Marantz has a 5.1 connected too.
But in terms of functionality I love the extras (iplayer etc) that come on the Sony.
However with the best will in the world one could not say in terms of build and aesthetics the Sony was anywhere near the class of my marantz (also the CA), so if you are only interested in disc playback I'd go for the CA. WHAT HI FI really rate it For CDs as well
I'm not saying the 370 isn't fantastic vfm (I bought my dad one) but I know which one I'd be thinking of.

A

Anonymous

Another Richard to here and I have to agree that in light of your existing system and the fact that the CA is a superior disc spinner an all fronts, it has to be Cambridge all the way, and it will match in nicely both aesthetically and sonically.

I am a big fan of the 650BD and it sits top of my wish list, the only thing that may surpass it is the impending Cambridge streaming device due out very shortly for about the same price...so it will be interesting to see how it rates sonically and functionally....

A

Anonymous

Richard, thanks very much for your message. I currently use the CA DVD99 to play CDs (which I connect via an optical cable to the CA 640R). Therefore for audio it would be a direct comparison between the CA DVD99 and the CA 650BD. I'm thinking that if I'm going to get significantly better audio then I can better justify the cost - does anybody have any ideas on this?

My concern was that the WHAT HI FI review of the CA 650BD seemed to suggest that there was better picture quality for the money (the CA 650BD is still annoyingly at £400) and I was wondering whether in terms of picture quality there is a discernible difference between that and the Sony S370 (which also seemed to get 5 stars) or even the Sony S570 (I don't have a 3D tv). Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your time,

John

A

Anonymous

Hi Ricardo!

Thanks for your message. Please tell me more about this streaming device - it sounds very interesting indeed!

John

A

Anonymous

calvinhobbes:

Hi Ricardo!

Thanks for your message. Please tell me more about this streaming device - it sounds very interesting indeed!

John

If you do a search on the forums for Cambridge CN30 you should be able to find out more...there are a few of us eager to find out what it's like when it's released 'soon' ... Incidentally, I would suggest that although What Hi-Fi gave 5 stars to both machines, the price bracket difference and catagory would suggest that the Cambridge BD650 is a much better unit, especially when it comes to CD music replay and I would suggest connecting with a good pair of phono interconnects for superior sound quality.

A

Anonymous

Ricardo, thanks for this. CA 650BD it is then! ALthough I might wait to see if it comes down in price at all!

A

Anonymous

calvinhobbes:

Ricardo, thanks for this. CA 650BD it is then! ALthough I might wait to see if it comes down in price at all!

I'm still waiting too and the only outlet I have to choose from is in Belfast as we don't have a Richer Sounds in the Republic of Ireland !!! As long as it remains popular the price will stay the same I think, but ironically, the CN30 may be the thing that knocks the price down !!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I recently had the pleasure of a head-to-head with the Sony and the CA. What swung it in favour of the 650BD for me (and why it's on my shopping list) is the sound quality; plus it has multi-channel analogue output, which is important for me. But the Sony is brilliant at everything it does and if my amp had HDMI inputs I may well have plumped for it. It's a lot cheaper and while I'm not too taken with the looks (of the hardware), for purely Blu-Ray it's a fantastic bargain. I suggest you try to compare them as I did.

But what's this CN30?? Don't confuse me any more than I already am!

John Duncan

Haven't seen the Cambridge, but it was top of my list until I got my hands on a Sony. For a hundred quid it's almost disposable - you could get one and get other components to play other formats slightly better if you really wanted them to...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts