Sony BDP-S790 Resume Play

Gooders

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help?

I have a Sony BDP-S790 but it doesn't seem to remember where I've got up to if I stop watching a DVD or BD part way through; my old Sony DVD player used to remember something like 40 films. I've searched through the menus and can't find any settings to change and my software is up to date. I have read some suggestions that a memory stick needs to be attached to the USB socket, but I haven't tried this yet.

A colleague at work has the same player; he says that his player resumes play where the film was watched up to and he doesn't have a memory stick attached.

Does anyone know how to get this working?

manicm

Bigboss is correct, but look out for instructions for the disc in the on-screen menu - notice the unmarked red/green/blue/yellow buttons on your player's remote control? For some BD's you can use one of these buttons (usually green I think), to create a bookmark. It will then usually appear as an option in the scene-selection menu for you to choose - you can create multiple bookmarks. Still a major PITA, but better than nothing.

Gooders

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've done a bit more testing and the results are as follows:

For DVDs, the player will resume play only if the disk has not been removed (this is regardless of whether the power has been turned off or not). My old Sony DVP-NS705V still does resume play on all DVDs (although the picture quality is not a patch on the BDP-S790), so this is a player issue not a disk issue!

For BDs, it seems to depend on the disk; Skyfall and The Amazing Spider-Man will resume play (even if the disk has been removed), London 2012 Olympic Games won't (again this is regardless of whether the power has been turned off or not). Not sure if there is a limit to the number of disks that the player will remember?

Inserting a USB memory stick seems to make no difference whatsoever.

I have no idea why Sony haven't included the resume play feature for DVDs!

According to page 41 of the user manual:

Q. Playback does not start from the resume point where you last stopped playing.
A. The resume point may be cleared from memory depending on the disc when
– you open the disc tray.
– you disconnect the USB device.
– you play other content.
– you turn off the player.

I wasn't aware that any DVD player could remember where it left off AFTER you took the disc out. Similarly, I'm not aware of any current blu ray player to remember it either. Mine doesn't. With blu ray discs, the marker is left on the disc, so the disc remembers. That doesn't happen with DVDs.

Gooders

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess that explains it then. So on BDs the resume point is being recorded on the disk (for disks that support this), but for DVDs the feature on my probably 12 year old DVD player hasn't been included in the more modern machines.

I think my old machine remembers up to 40 DVDs; useful feature really, particularly when you stop a film part way through and then the children watch something else. Shame Sony haven't included it, sometimes progress is a funny thing!

Gooders said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess that explains it then. So on BDs the resume point is being recorded on the disk (for disks that support this), but for DVDs the feature on my probably 12 year old DVD player hasn't been included in the more modern machines.

I think my old machine remembers up to 40 DVDs; useful feature really, particularly when you stop a film part way through and then the children watch something else. Shame Sony haven't included it, sometimes progress is a funny thing!

Yes, that's what technology does; manufacturers do away with features they don't think is important. All my Video CDs became redundant since I upgraded to the Panasonic blu ray player.

manicm

My old Pioneer DVD player, and my CA 751BD can remember DVDs even after removing. As bigboss says for BD - it depends on the disc, but bookmarks - where applicable - are remembered after removing BDs by the 751 - probably stores it in the built-in 1 (or 2) GB memory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts