Sony BDP-S790 3D Full screen? Confused!

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Got the Sony 790 for Xmas, playing it on a samsung 46" 8000 series tv. What I'm curious about is when I play a standard blu ray it plays back letter boxed ( black bars top and bottom) which is what I expect and how it's always been with previous blu ray players and my old Panasonic plasma TV. When I watch a blu ray in 3D it fills the entire screen, is this correct or have I set either the TV or the blu ray wrongly.its good as is but I'm guessing it has zoomed in somehow and is cutting off the left and right edges of the picture. Any advice would be great, thanks

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
OK have you got the Samsung TV set up on the Just Scan option for picture size?

Edit: this also depends on what or how the film you are watching was converted or originally shot as to whether it fills the screen or not.

Regards ..

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
As alluded to, check the aspect ratio on the discs.

If they’re 1.85:1 (or thereabouts) then they’re showing correctly. Although I have no interest in 3D I have noted that some blu-rays in 2D with an aspect ratio of say 2.35:1, for example, are then screened in 1.85:1 for the 3D versions.

Edit:

Having looked at Samsungs less than helpful manual and elsewhere it appears that the “Auto Wide” mode is there just to stretch the image to fill the screen which obviously isn’t very desirable so 16:9 would be the correct option

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I checked Monster House and Hugo and your right about the aspect ratio being 1.85:1 this then makes me wonder how much of the left and right are missing? Has anyone watched a 3D blu ray which is presented in widescreen (2.35:1) so you are seeing most of the screen, or are all 3D blu rays full screen?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
eremis666666 said:
Has anyone watched a 3D blu ray which is presented in widescreen (2.35:1) so you are seeing most of the screen, or are all 3D blu rays full screen?

You can check out Blu-rays here (make sure that you select your correct country).

As mentioned I have no interest in 3D but taking Avatar as an example, it was a directorial decision to screen the 3D version – cinema and Blu-ray – in 1.78:1 and the 2D version in 2.39:1 (Cameron’s explanation here).

Hugo which you brought up was originally shot in 1.85:1 so you are seeing the movie as intended, but if you are particularly concerned about 3D aspect ratios then simply google the name of the movie followed by “3D aspect ratio” and you’ll find a wealth of information.

Hope this helps a bit.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Rather strange, if it is not set in Just Scan do you have a Screen Fit option? If this is not set you tend to get overscan on a Samsung TV resulting in loss of between 2.5% to 5% of the picture, so the TV will not be pixel perfect (Most of the Samsungs have one of the 2 options if they are 1080p TV's).

Just to add In the TV on the main picture menu your TV should be set in Cinema Mode & Warm 2 on the settings. On the remote control it has a instant picture size button so you can scroll through the sizes withought going into the main menu.

Is the model you have an ES8000 or a D8000 & have you downloaded the latest firmware for the TV?

Regards ...

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
eremis666666 said:
I checked Monster House and Hugo and your right about the aspect ratio being 1.85:1 this then makes me wonder how much of the left and right are missing?

About 0.5 I reckon...

If the TV is in a pixel for pixel mode, then you will lose nothing from the left and right as 1.85:1 is a letterbox format. If you turn up the brightness, you will see a small black letterbox matte at the top and bottom of 21 lines each. The width of the active image will still be 1920 pixels but the height of the active image is 1038 lines. The letterbox just fills the remaining 42 lines of the 1080 line scan.

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, it's the es 8000 I have, when you set it up it asks you the screen size, which I set at 46" there's no "screen fit option" that I came across. Don't remember seeing a picture size button on the remote but I will check tonight when I get home.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
robjcooper said:
The_Lhc said:
eremis666666 said:
I checked Monster House and Hugo and your right about the aspect ratio being 1.85:1 this then makes me wonder how much of the left and right are missing?

About 0.5 I reckon...

If the TV is in a pixel for pixel mode, then you will lose nothing from the left and right as 1.85:1 is a letterbox format. If you turn up the brightness, you will see a small black letterbox matte at the top and bottom of 21 lines each. The width of the active image will still be 1920 pixels but the height of the active image is 1038 lines. The letterbox just fills the remaining 42 lines of the 1080 line scan.

You do understand it was a joke don't you? 2.35:1 minus 1.85:1 = 0.5...

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
robjcooper said:
The_Lhc said:
eremis666666 said:

About 0.5 I reckon...

It was an honest answer to the original poster's question rather than aimed at your 'joke', hence no mention of it in my post.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
robjcooper said:
The_Lhc said:
robjcooper said:
The_Lhc said:
eremis666666 said:

About 0.5 I reckon...

It was an honest answer to the original poster's question rather than aimed at your 'joke', hence no mention of it in my post.

Eh? So why reply to MY post instead of his?

You do realise the effort I go to thinking up this rubbish knowing full well it'll be completely ignored? A reply is the highlight of my day usually and now you've just gone and spoiled it all!

Guh! GUH, I tell you!

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just tried out Polar Express and Dredd, both of these are presented letter boxed in 3D so I must have the setting right thankfully. Must just have been the first few discs I tried which were full screen. Happy now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts