Sony BDP S760

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our review will be online tomorrow, and the Awards issue itself goes into greater detail re comparative testing. In addition, we will run a Group Test of BD players at this price next issue (Dec; on sale 11th Nov) that will go into yet more detail (and bring in other, as yet unavailable players).

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Jonnyhifi:What ?? Oppo 831 and Simon Cowell's birthday? Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Watch out Jonny.........the Sony might just be a better machine than the Oppo 831.....
emotion-18.gif

Looks like my suggestion, on the 5th Oct, that the sony might be better than the Oppo 831 has just become a reality!!!
emotion-3.gif

Thats two for two now, with the prediction that the Denon AVR 2310 was a cracker!!(After demo'ing it, of course)

Let me know what else you would like to know before it happens (he says smuggly)........

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
My magazine has arrived and nothing it says makes me change my decision to buy an Oppo. I dont care about the DACs as my amp will do that and I want a universal player, which the Sony is not.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:Pistol Pete1:

Jonnyhifi:What ?? Oppo 831 and Simon Cowell's birthday? Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Watch out Jonny.........the Sony might just be a better machine than the Oppo 831.....
emotion-18.gif

.... hence my enquiry to the Sony shop and slight hint of sarcasam re Wednesday. I'm with you on this one - from purely a BD spinning point of view, the S760, with the gubbins (technical term) from the 'high end' Sony player, would seem worth investigating before joining the Oppo party. Not to mention the new Denon, the Pioneer LX52, etc. to check out.

Thought is might turn out like this... And having seen the Sony in action at the Manchester show (courtesy of WHFSV) I think Oppo's wesbite delays will cost them a fair wedge in sales.

Surely the vast majority of BDP buyers will be looking primarily at Blu ray and DVD playback ,and then decent CD playback. The Sony's bluray imagery on show was top notch, and the guys there were extolling its DVD and CD virtues. For most, the feature count and WiFi funcitionality would outweigh the Oppo's SACD, DVD-A playback and other functions, which are now being highlighted by 'others ' given the picture quality has been found slightly wanting in comparison.

A

Anonymous

How will the S560 compare to the S760? I don't need analogue outputs, but need to decode to LPCM (connect to a Denon 3806). I want superb BluRay and sound, but also good DVD upscaling when playing a DVD.

Is what hifi going to test the S560 soon? Is it worth waiting for?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've tested the Sony BDP-S560 - you can read the review in our new Ultimate Guide to Blu-ray (on sale now at WHSmith and all good newsagents), and it'll also run in our next main issue (December; on sale November 13th).

As an overview, the S560 is essentially the S360 with some extra features; the 'S760 represents the next true performance upgrade in the Sony BD range.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I think the S760 is best suited for me then. I look forward to the December issue. Unfortunately, here at the other side of the North Sea I get it 10 days later (awards issue was in my mailbox today).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts