Sony BDP S760

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know when this player will be in the shops?

Furthermore has anyone found where you can see the spec of it? Looked on UK and USA Sony site, and there is nothing?

Interested to know if the height of it is the same as the S560?

Will it be reviewed anytime soon? (Assuming it is out soon?)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I believe it's on sale imminently, and it will be reviewed in the Awards issue First Tests section. It stands 7cm tall, according to the limited spec I have here.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yup, review will be in the next issue on sale October 20th. And if you want to see it before then, it'll be on our stand at the Manchester Sound & Vision Show the weekend of October 17th/18th.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Great, thanks guys.....I thought it looked like it was in the same casing as the S560.

Thinking of popping up to the Manchester Show too, so thats a good reason to now...will it be a working example on your stand?

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

I asked this in my local Sony shop last week, and was told release date was 7th October. That date seemed strangely familiar...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:Pistol Pete1:

I asked this in my local Sony shop last week, and was told release date was 7th October. That date seemed strangely familiar...

Simon Cowell's birthday?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:What ?? Oppo 831 and Simon Cowell's birthday? Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Watch out Jonny.........the Sony might just be a better machine than the Oppo 831.....
emotion-18.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:
when is the awards issue with subscribers? My subscription indicates on/about 8 October, but that was well caveated...

Cheers

Subscription issue should be with you Saturday 17th - same day it goes on-sale at the Manchester Show. In all shops by Tuesday 20th.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Jonnyhifi:What ?? Oppo 831 and Simon Cowell's birthday? Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Watch out Jonny.........the Sony might just be a better machine than the Oppo 831.....
emotion-18.gif

.... hence my enquiry to the Sony shop and slight hint of sarcasam re Wednesday. I'm with you on this one - from purely a BD spinning point of view, the S760, with the gubbins (technical term) from the 'high end' Sony player, would seem worth investigating before joining the Oppo party. Not to mention the new Denon, the Pioneer LX52, etc. to check out.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
You been looking at my shortlist, or something.......I have the same potential players on it too, although the Sony would fit in the rack without me losing another machine!!!

Wouldn't bother with Sony shops - last time I was in one, I told them all about their products, rather than the salesman telling me. (Saleman was so sure the item was no longer made-till he checked!)

I got the Denon AVR 2310 right, and my prediction is for good things from this Sony too.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
You been looking at my shortlist, or something.......I have the same potential players on it too, although the Sony would fit in the rack without me losing another machine!!!

I got the Denon AVR 2310 right, and my prediction is for good things from this Sony too.

Well you may find this disconcerting, but I am looking closely at the Denon AVR 2310 as well - although I have the Thompson Sky HD box and read about issues with picture via HDMI from it so haven't taken the plunge just yet.

Back to the Sony - must admit it took two salespersons to check the release date on the computer, and even then they pronounced it would be on the 7th 'which is a Monday' . So don't hold your breath.

So let me see, 1010i.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Jonny,

To make things easier, let me know when your in my neck of the woods and you can pop over for a listen........
emotion-4.gif

.......don't forget the front speaker upgrade though......not just the standard 1010i system....

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Pete, that's a kind offer, which could save me a bob or two.

Ideally hoping for decent standmounts at the front and wall mountable rears; I've been looking longingly at packages like the rather more pricey MA Silver RX series , which will be on show in Manchester (so attendance could prove dangerous).

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bit off topic but i went into super fi today and thay had a sony bdp 500 for sale and i had forgotten how big she is.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
So, apparently this is the new king of BDPs....!

Seeing as a test of the Oppo is beyond the means of a mere mortal, and this player can be bought for £379 (cheaper than the Oppo) it just may be the one for me.

Unfortunately, my WHF subscription is the subject of industrial action by HM post office, so it could be days/weeks/months/years before I get it, can I ask (from WHF, or anyone else lucky enough to have bought/recieved their copy), does the Sony first test give any indication whether this player is as good as the (achor bay powered) oppo for upscaling regular DVD content?

Also, does anyone have info as to why/how it betters its little brothers (the s360/s560).

Thanks all

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Jonnyhifi:

What ?? Oppo 831 and Simon Cowell's birthday? Wednesday can't come soon enough.

emotion-18.gif

Oooh many a true word has been spoken in jest!

let the arguments commence.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks - had a read, but it doesn't really answer the burning (dvd ability) question. Interesting to see that the "six second" wake up means effectively leaving the player constantly on stand-by (with fans whirring - how loud are they, I wonder; also not very green). The true start-up time-line is 25 seconds.

In any case, thanks for the pointer (although I imagine the link will shortly disappear, you're not permitted to post links to rival sites, even when they're on the other side of the world!).

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
The Sony is on sale from RGB direct for £379, and £399 from Richersounds, who will do a price-beat by a tenner... for those interested. I'm awaiting the review (COME ON POSTIE, SPEND A BIT LESS TIME ON THE PICKET* AND A BIT MORE TIME DOING YOUR JOB).

*down the pub with a copy of the racing post, probably.

A

Anonymous

Presumably it is better than the Pioneer BDP 320, as it won product of the year and they are at the same price point. Does any one know how it compares to the Pioneer BDP LX52?

TRENDING THREADS