Sony AV Amps -

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Some help for a novice

I have a Pana SC-PTX5 home cinema system with a Pana TX32-LXD700, and Sky HD setup.

I have a PS3 but want to know if I can connect my home cinema system to a Sony AV Amp such as the STR820 etc to allow all my devices to be connected via HDMI, thus having a single source for the sound?

Advice please...thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd suspect the Panasonic would only output stereo via HDMI, as it would to a TV. But if you already have a PS3, and are presumably buying speakers to go with the Sony receiver, I don't see why you would need the Panasonic system anymore.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

I was hoping I could retain the Pana SC-PTX5 for DVDs etc also is it possible to use the speakers from the Panny..or would i need to invest in some new speakers....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
magicman:
Thanks Andrew

I was hoping I could retain the Pana SC-PTX5 for DVDs etc also is it possible to use the speakers from the Panny..or would i need to invest in some new speakers....

You could use the PS3 for dvds, I would guess that it would upscale them better than the Pana system. As for speakers, I would think that you would need to buy some new ones. You would be better off selling the Pana system in it's entirety anyway.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
magicman:I was hoping I could retain the Pana SC-PTX5 for DVDs etc also is it possible to use the speakers from the Panny..or would i need to invest in some new speakers....

The Panasonic has a passive subwoofer, which the main unit powers, whereas the Sony receiver is designed for use with an active subwoofer - ie one with a power amp built-in. So you'll need a new subwoofer at least, plus centre and surround speakers to make the most of the receiver.

Given all that, and the comments above about the PS3's superiority when it comes to upscaling DVDs, the best bet would probably be to sell the Panasonic system complete and start again. Systems such as the SC-PTX5 are designed as one-stop solutions, not with future upgrading in mind...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts