Sony 4K Q&A

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

in a couple of weeks we'll be attending a Sony event where they'll be talking everything 4K, from the production process through to content delivery and the technology behind their own Ultra HD TVs. If you've got a 4K-related question you'd like answering, please feel free to write it down below and we'll try to get replies to as many as possible. We'll be sending them off on Wednesday, so please jot them down as soon as you can - :type: . Thanks!

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as I will be buying a 4k T.V this year at some point, can you ask how or what Sony are doing to address latency for console gamers. I presume there are issues concerning upscaling 1080p games which must introduce some lag or latency. Also I have a PC which with the addition of a couple of new graphics cards will allow me to play games at 4k res, using display port, with pretty high settings, which will look amazing I believe. Considering the dearth of native 4k content are Sony taking PC gamers seriously? Or at all? And will we have uncapped framerates in the future or is 60 fps the target for now?

I'm sure you can word these questions better than I can!

Thanks for the opportunity.

Roundhead.

1) Why isn't Sony releasing the 65-inch X950 in the UK?? That was the TV I was planning to buy.

2) A lot of people buying high end flagship TVs have a dedicated surround sound system & usually mount the TV on the wall. X9 has ugly speakers on the sides which I'll never use and the flagship models have a wedge design, which is a hindrance to wall mounting. Sony's solution for wall mount will only make it significantly thicker. I am curious about the rationale for such designs which is bound to alienate a significant market. All I want is a simple thin TV without fancy angles or speakers. Perhaps launch a line for the custom install market? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

How much will the flagship 4K 55 inch TV cost? :cheers:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
2) A lot of people buying high end flagship TVs have a dedicated surround sound system & usually mount the TV on the wall. X9 has ugly speakers on the sides which I'll never use and the flagship models have a wedge design, which is a hindrance to wall mounting. Sony's solution for wall mount will only make it significantly thicker. I am curious about the rationale for such designs which is bound to alienate a significant market. All I want is a simple thin TV without fancy angles or speakers. Perhaps launch a line for the custom install market? :?

Agreed, at present these silly awful looking speakers on the side of the TV are of no use to people looking at premium models as they already have a surround sound system. Why do Sony insist on these? If they are going to insist on them can they at least design it so they can be removed? At present I can't even consider a Sony Premium 4K TV due to the speakers. Those I can consider then have the wedge which causes another issue. Can they please design a slim TV just like Big Boss says. That's two extra sales they would get already!

Also do they have any plans to release a 60" 4K TV? 55" is questionable if its really worth the cost over a 1080p set for 4K, 65" is a little to big. 60" sits nicely in the region of not to big for the home and you actually might notice a noticeable difference in picture quality to justify buying a 4K TV.

Cheers

Rocket

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Not a TV question but still 4K questions....

Any idea when 4K blu-ray players might be available and any idea of cost?

Will there 2014 AV recievers have HDMI 2.0 pass through for 4K at 50 and 60p like some of the Yamaha's this year?

Cheers

Rocket

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Simple one this surely...CONTENT!!

Can they answer why 4K TV's are being sold when there is currently no native content available in the UK, no disc format announced, no 4K players announced and no deal like the U.S gets where the hard drive option is available for 4K movies.

How do Sony plan on delivering 4K material to UK customers? right now buying a 4K TV seems completely and utterly pointless to me so content is the most pressing issue above everything else because if there is no content then what's the point in owning a 4K TV?

Thanks.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I would like to know if they are bringing out 4K blu-ray this year that it won't be at stupidly high prices like when blu-ray first came out that nobody could afford.

IntoTheVoid

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I would like to know if Sony intend releasing the new 4K media player in the UK, as they didn't bring it's predecessor here.

4K hardware is all a bit moot if there's no content.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
As Sony have their own Studio and make their 4K cameras and master their own 4k content. Surely they want to get their Movies, TV series and Sports events into our living rooms. I would assume they are trying to get this 4K content onto bluray discs using a better codec. I hope I can watch this on my Sony 760 on my Sony 4K TV. But I bet I have to buy a newer Sony Blueray player.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
chrisup said:
As Sony have their own Studio and make their 4K cameras and master their own 4k content. Surely they want to get their Movies, TV series and Sports events into our living rooms. I would assume they are trying to get this 4K content onto bluray discs using a better codec. I hope I can watch this on my Sony 760 on my Sony 4K TV. But I bet I have to buy a newer Sony Blueray player.

I didn't think the sony 760 was 4K enabled, so i'm not sure how you are going to watch 4K blu-rays on your machine without upgrading.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi, my question is what will Sony be doing for their 2013 X9005A owners, who have paid a huge premium for their TV's with regards to future 4k content and the Netflix/HEVC codec issue.

Will their be a free hardware upgrade, or a free 4k Media Player.

Will be interesting to hear Sony's response on this one.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
bigboss said:

Agreed, at present these silly awful looking speakers on the side of the TV are of no use to people looking at premium models as they already have a surround sound system. Why do Sony insist on these? If they are going to insist on them can they at least design it so they can be removed? At present I can't even consider a Sony Premium 4K TV due to the speakers. Those I can consider then have the wedge which causes another issue. Can they please design a slim TV just like Big Boss says. That's two extra sales they would get already!

Also do they have any plans to release a 60" 4K TV? 55" is questionable if its really worth the cost over a 1080p set for 4K, 65" is a little to big. 60" sits nicely in the region of not to big for the home and you actually might notice a noticeable difference in picture quality to justify buying a 4K TV.

Cheers

Rocket

Have to disagree rocketrazor in the nicest possible way. I have the 55X9005A and I don't have a dedicated surround sound set up as yet. The main reason for me purchasing the X9005A were the magnetic fluid speakers. I think they are beautifully designed into the TV Chassis and sound absolutely amazing. Every review on the web with regards to the X9005A has rated the sound on this TV as superb. In fact they sound so good that I'm now considering whether or not I should get a dedicated surround sound system. Also, I'm not the only one who has this TV without a dedicated surround sound system.

With regards to this years new model, the X9005B, I am so gald that Sony have kept the magnetic fluid speakers and who knows, they might sound even better than the 2013 model !

Finally the X9005A and the X9005B remind me of Sony's TV's from the early 90's. I used to have one and the sound quality was amazing. The X9005A sounds similar to that set.

Can't wait until Sony release an OLED Set with magnetic fluid speakers. Now that will be worth the wait :grin:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
sound10 said:
rocketrazor said:
bigboss said:

Cheers

Rocket

Have to disagree rocketrazor in the nicest possible way. I have the 55X9005A and I don't have a dedicated surround sound set up as yet. The main reason for me purchasing the X9005A were the magnetic fluid speakers. I think they are beautifully designed into the TV Chassis and sound absolutely amazing. Every review on the web with regards to the X9005A has rated the sound on this TV as superb. In fact they sound so good that I'm now considering whether or not I should get a dedicated surround sound system. Also, I'm not the only one who has this TV without a dedicated surround sound system.

With regards to this years new model, the X9005B, I am so gald that Sony have kept the magnetic fluid speakers and who knows, they might sound even better than the 2013 model !

Finally the X9005A and the X9005B remind me of Sony's TV's from the early 90's. I used to have one and the sound quality was amazing. The X9005A sounds similar to that set.

Can't wait until Sony release an OLED Set with magnetic fluid speakers. Now that will be worth the wait :grin:

far point :oops:

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Just one question, the new 2014 Sony Line up of 4K Panels, wedge design: How easy are these to install onto a wall to give the impression of "free floating". Is that wedge design a hinderance?

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
sound10 said:
rocketrazor said:
bigboss said:

Cheers

Rocket

Hi rocketrazor, I do also understand where you are coming from. For some customers, they may not necessarily want the attached speakers due to having dedicated surround sound systems or they might think that they don't look good. That again is a fair point to make. However what is the solution. Should the TV's be made with a basic sound setup and better speakers be available as seperate add ons/attachable to the TV as an option if wanted, or is it best to incorporate good sounding speakers into the chassis as a matter of course. I'm definitely with the latter option.

sound10 said:
Hi, just to add, I read somewhere that wall mounting the 2014 models with the wdege design is a non issue. Here is a link to the Sony site and if you go halfway down the page, there is a picture of the new X9005B wall mounted. Hope this gives you all a better idea of how the tv will look being wall mounted.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x9000b-series?cpint=HOMEPAGE_THELATEST4SPAN_BRAVIA4KX9000B&csrt=17629297801147940145

As I mentioned, the wall mounting option makes the TV thicker due to the nature of the mount.

sound10 said:
rocketrazor said:
sound10 said:
rocketrazor said:
bigboss said:

Cheers

Rocket

Hi rocketrazor, I do also understand where you are coming from. For some customers, they may not necessarily want the attached speakers due to having dedicated surround sound systems or they might think that they don't look good. That again is a fair point to make. However what is the solution. Should the TV's be made with a basic sound setup and better speakers be available as seperate add ons/attachable to the TV as an option if wanted, or is it best to incorporate good sounding speakers into the chassis as a matter of course. I'm definitely with the latter option.

Go Pioneer's way of providing detachable speakers as they did with KRP 500A and 600A.