Sony 32p3020/32s3000 differences?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently read your supertest for budget 32inch lcd televisions, and have decided to go for either the panasonic lmd70 or the sony 32p3020.

But after looking around on the net for prices i came across the sony 32s3000. I have looked at reviews for this sony and they aren't as good as the 32p3020, but was just wondering are there any performance differences between these two models?

As to be honest i'd prefer the s3000 as cosmetically its a lot better.

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We haven't tested the 'S' model (quite why Sony has to have SO many Bravias is anyone's guess...), but by comparing the tech-specs on Sony's site, i've found the following differences between the two:

Contrast ratio - S claims 1600:1, while P is 1800:1 (this could explain difference in some reviews)
Sound modes - P seems to have a more sophisticated sound system.
Power usage - S uses less on standby, but P uses less in use
HDMI outputs - S has 3, P has 2
Colour - S is black, P is silver

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Cheers thanks for the help. Seems as though the p3020 has better performance, now just have decide what to go for the Panasonic or Sony, the only thing stopping me getting the Sony is its looks!

I had my mind set on the Lg 32lb75 until your test threw into the equation the Panasonic and the Sony, so thought i'd up my budget slightly to get a better tv.

What tv would you choose?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The sony models have different features in different sizes which make it really confusing, but in the 32" size, the P doesn't have the wide colour gamut backlight which the S does, so the S gives better colour, and from what I remember, in the sony shops, they both have the same claimed contrast ratio, so it may just be a misprint online.

I noticed in the shops that the lg lb75 suffered from really poor vertical viewing angles which might be an issue if you view fairly close and from multiple positions, but otherwise, it looked good.

If you can afford it (and find it as its no longer listed on the sony website in the 32" size) try the t3000, its got much better real world contrast ratio, viewing angles and black levels, mainly because it uses an S-LCD SPVA panel (unlike the lower end sonys). The LMD70 is also a great tv but I deffinitely think that the panasonic LXD70 is or lxd700 is worth the extra (I tried a couple of different LCDs at home including the sony and the LMD70 before finally swapping to the LXD70 because the motion handling, colours, viewing angles contrast, picture processing and 1080/24p input really do make it noticeably better than its competitors).

Try to go to a shop to see all of them near each other, play around with the settings and if possible try a range of sources (I find fenwicks and JL to be good for comparing sets), then you can make your mind up about which one you like best.

A

Anonymous

Clare, you have picture of the KDL-32P3020 on pages 44 and 47 of the March edition, and its definitely not silver!

The KDL-32S3000 seems to be much more widely available. Dixons/Currys and John Lewis for example have it rather than the 'P'.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
For silver (Sony's description) read 'grey'!

When we bought the set, the 32P3020 was more widely available than the 'S' - we bought ours from Empire Direct.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts