sonus faber venere 2.0

Sliced Bread

Agreed, thanks Con.

From what I’ve read they’re good at low volumes which is always a bonus, however I never hear of these mentioned in the same sentence as ATC/PMC so I’d just like to ensure they’re a def step up from my cm8s :)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't know the ATCs, however for me 15 minutes was more than enough from Sonus Faber 2.0. It was not bad at all just lifeless with Primare i32 and Verrtere cables. The 2.5 was not built for me too, however it had better scale, dynamics and much better bass performance. An audition would clarify these things quite fast.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yup, people generally gravitate to either ATC/PMC/Kef/B&W...or Harbeth/Spendor/Sonus Faber.

Having recently heard some Harbeths, I would recommend trying either Spendor Classics, or Harbeth, to see if that BBC Monitor sound is what you are looking for. The SFs are like a halfway house between the two groups....though they are modernising their sound.

If you like the idea of a natural, relaxed, non fatiguing sound....then try the latter group. If you prefer a more exciting, modern sound...then the second group is where to concentrate.

ATC will give accuracy and neutrality....sounding glorious on good recordings and showing up bad recordings for what they are. The likes of Harbeth will be more forgiving, while still giving high resolution and insight into the recording (without beating up your ears - though current ATCs are supposed to be less ruthless in this regard).

I broke the ‘rules’ when I moved from Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speakers to ATCs last year. In the process I auditioned Venere 2.5, which I wrote about here.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/floorstanders-around-ps3000-tale-two-speakers

The old ones are on fleabay right now if you fancy a punt!

Sliced Bread

Thanks everyone as always.

interesting read on the Veneres being fatiguing and also the comparisons with ATC 40s

Thanks also for the suggestions too Cno. I’ve heard some of the above before with mixed results. I’ve always liked Spendors however my amplification at the moment is quite warm so it maybe too much.

Inthijk my taste maybe changing too. Had years of warm systems and ready for something more neutral, but I just need to book some demos to be sure :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Thanks everyone as always.

interesting read on the Veneres being fatiguing and also the comparisons with ATC 40s

Thanks also for the suggestions too Cno. I’ve heard some of the above before with mixed results. I’ve always liked Spendors however my amplification at the moment is quite warm so it maybe too much.

Inthijk my taste maybe changing too. Had years of warm systems and ready for something more neutral, but I just need to book some demos to be sure :)

You might like Focal with warm Amps. My Electra 1008Be standmounters are quite special with Valves or Devialet.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The ATC. Are way better than the sonus Faber. Not to say I don't like the venere but the ATC have lots more detail on offer and are better in every way to the venere.if you want silky smooth treble than look at the venere but that's it

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
The ATC. Are way better than the sonus Faber. Not to say I don't like the venere but the ATC have lots more detail on offer and are better in every way to the venere.if you want silky smooth treble than look at the venere but that's it

I notice you have Usher Mini Dancer speakers... are you able to describe their sound qualities?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
seemorebtts said:

I notice you have Usher Mini Dancer speakers... are you able to describe their sound qualities?

Mac

very realistic sound. They used to be made with a beryllium tweeter but usher said even tho they sound great with this tweeter they wanted more realistic sound and the only way to do this was to swop for a diamond tweeter which is absolutely stunning. Not hash but very smooth with incredible detail. Great timing and speed and muscle bass. I had lots of Speaker's over the years but these are great at everything.they are even easy to drive so will suit all amps. I'm trying to find fault but I can't. For me perfection until I try the mini dancers 2 :)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
A friend of mine has got Venere 2.5. I popped in for a listen. He actually played music from FLAC via Cyrus pre amp, Musical Fidelity power end. I need to say they made a nice impression but that was it. I would describe their sound on the slightly warm side. With good midrange response. The sound was not kinda analytical like in some but got this vividness to it. I would say they are very balanced and offer really unagressive sound. Bass is a bit veiled and treble as well. Great speakers for a "bright room". Actually I cannot really say a bad word about them. Really nice overall sound. Just like Spendors on steroids for example. The detail is also not lacking but they offer it not in spades.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Macspur said:
seemorebtts said:

Mac

very realistic sound. They used to be made with a beryllium tweeter but usher said even tho they sound great with this tweeter they wanted more realistic sound and the only way to do this was to swop for a diamond tweeter which is absolutely stunning. Not hash but very smooth with incredible detail. Great timing and speed and muscle bass. I had lots of Speaker's over the years but these are great at everything.they are even easy to drive so will suit all amps. I'm trying to find fault but I can't. For me perfection until I try the mini dancers 2 :)

That's great thanks... I demoed some Ushers about 10 years ago, can't remember the model though, they were quite large stand mounts and pretty heavy... I did quite like them, but had quite a flat response, so decided against them.

It's good to hear about other speakers on here instead of the usual culprits.

Apologies to the op, just had to ask about the Dancers.

Mac

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
seemorebtts said:
Macspur said:
seemorebtts said:

Mac

That's great thanks... I demoed some Ushers about 10 years ago, can't remember the model though, they were quite large stand mounts and pretty heavy... I did quite like them, but had quite a flat response, so decided against them.

It's good to hear about other speakers on here instead of the usual culprits.

Apologies to the op, just had to ask about the Dancers.

Mac

I had the usher audio n-6300 speakers standmounts which blow me away. I loved them. They were £1200 and I thought they were better than ATC 11 and pmc.

Sliced Bread

seemorebtts said:
yes I’m suspecting this to be the case, but Looking forward to having a listen.

Sliced Bread

stereoman said:
A friend of mine has got Venere 2.5. I popped in for a listen. He actually played music from FLAC via Cyrus pre amp, Musical Fidelity power end. I need to say they made a nice impression but that was it. I would describe their sound on the slightly warm side. With good midrange response. The sound was not kinda analytical like in some but got this vividness to it. I would say they are very balanced and offer really unagressive sound. Bass is a bit veiled and treble as well. Great speakers for a "bright room". Actually I cannot really say a bad word about them. Really nice overall sound. Just like Spendors on steroids for example. The detail is also not lacking but they offer it not in spades.

Thanks stereoman. I’ll have a try :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts