Sonos ZP120 with Floorstanders. B&W 684 or Monitor Audio BX5 for example?

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi everybody,

Out of all this a little as I went to the Home Cinema darkside and have now decided, due to lack of use, that I would like to go back to a dedicated HiFi.

I run a couple of Sonos Zones. One in the Bathroom with a ceiling speaker. And one attached to my Arcam Solo Movie 5.1.

I am considering selling the Solo Movie, ZP90, and B&1 MT1s/PV1 and replacing them with a ZP120 and the above floorstanding option.

I will be adding a S5 zone at some point too.

Any other speaker options, I don't really want stand mounts as I prefer the look and sound of Floorstanders.

I will also be using the input on the ZP120 for either my Pro-Ject Turntable or TV.

Am I barking mad?

Thanks in advance.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
BW 684 are £699. In that price category there are Also:

Dali Concept 8 (£635), Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 (499), MA BX6, RX6, Wharfedales 10.7, and more with an RRP around 1k available as ex-dems for around 700.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes thanks I will have a listen to all my choices and the ones you suggest.

I wasn't limiting myself I was just giving examples although I have always liked B&W.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
For "dedicated" hi-fi it seems like an odd idea to me, I'd keep the ZP90, get a decent DAC and a stereo amp and use that. The ZP120's not a bad amp, as they go, but you can easily better it and going for seperates from a ZP90 gives you more upgrade options in the future (if you get into 24-bit audio for example).

scene

If you've already got the ZP90, I'd hang on to it and consider getting a stereo amp (maybe with DAC) and speakers. Not selling the Sonos should put about £150 extra in the pot (my assumed difference between a new ZP120 and selling your ZP90 on e-bay). With this you should be able to get a decent stereo amp and floorstanders. To stretch your budget further, look at secondhand...

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I understand what your saying and maybe 'dedicated' hifi was a bit strong.

One of my other reasons is to cut down on boxes, especially speakers, but if I was to get an amp and keep the ZP90 surely it would be a good idea to keep the Arcam and use it in Stereo.

I would also get the advantage of having a CD player too?

Or is a dedicated HiFi Stereo amp always going to be a better option?

I rip in Lossless although TBH its hard to tell the difference between that and 320kpbs sometimes.

As the Arcam is now discontinued I guess I would get around £500? Is that a reasonable amount for an Amp?

The Money from the Speakers I have would go towards the new Floorstanders.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The Yamaha AS-500 looks like a nice bit of kit but I think what I will do first is audition a ZP120 with some Floorstanders.

I can then see if its what I want.

Any other suggestions more than grateful.

scene

h4rdy:
I understand what your saying and maybe 'dedicated' hifi was a bit strong.

One of my other reasons is to cut down on boxes, especially speakers, but if I was to get an amp and keep the ZP90 surely it would be a good idea to keep the Arcam and use it in Stereo.

I would also get the advantage of having a CD player too?

You could, but you've got lots of unnecessary circuitry and although Arcam's are more musical than most AV amps, a dedicated stereo amp is going to be better. More import is the fact that the Arcam has digital in and its own DAC - which would allow you to use the spdif out on the SONOS, and in my experience Arcam's Wolfson DAC outperforms the Sonos one.

Or is a dedicated HiFi Stereo amp always going to be a better option?

Almost certainly. Though this depends on how much you spend on your amp...

I rip in Lossless although TBH its hard to tell the difference between that and 320kpbs sometimes.

I can tell the difference on my set up, using a ZP90/Arcam AVR250 and a pair of Monitor Silver 8is. How have you got your SONOS plumbed into your Amp - spdif or phono?

As the Arcam is now discontinued I guess I would get around £500? Is that a reasonable amount for an Amp?

You should be able to get more than that. There's one on eBay at £899 at the moment, for a used one. £8-900 buys a very good stereo amp, and if you look at secondhand, some fairly stunning ones...

The Money from the Speakers I have would go towards the new Floorstanders.

Makes sense. Maybe talk to your local friendly dealer...

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your help Scene.

I need to see what I am trying to gain from all of this as well.

Your right about the Solo Movie having lots of unnecesary ciruitry.

I have the Sonos plumbed in at the moment with RCA as using the internal on the Sonos.

Don't know why actually maybe I ran out of inputs due to TV and PS3!

But that will all be irrelevant anyway as I won't be using it for that.

I quite like the look of the smaller sized Cyrus amp.

I used to a have a Mission Cyrus 2 and PSX back in the day!

scene

Try a decent coax between the Sonos and the Arcam. It's digital and Arcam usually recommend coax over optical for spdif for quality. Might be worth a spin, just to see what difference it makes.

Rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, you might want to see if you can demo some full-fat floorstanders with the Solo, so you can have the best of both worlds - surround sound with decent stereo... This is sort of what I've now ended up with in my living room with the AVR250 + Silver 8is and some RXFX + RS-LCR to give me 5.1 when needed. Sounds great, and not too much of a compromise. Still have the A85 to go for purist stereo - when I sort out some new speakers ...

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again, I think I will have a chat with my dealer and see if I can demo some floorstanders at home.

I will get my ZP100 out of the bathroom zone and give it a demo maybe as well as with the Solo.

Again many thanks.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
So a rethink has happened and my current plan is to sell the B&W package and keep the Arcam as I found out it can be bi-amped/wired.

I am going to try and buy some PMC DB1i second hand and run these with my Arcam Bi-Amped.

If its rubbish I will get a new Amp but should be good enough as a temporary measure!

No room for floorstanders anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts