Sonos Z90 pricing?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Why do you think the Sonos ZP90 costs as much as it does? Isn't it essentially just the Sonos network capability with a DAC and a couple of outs? When you think the Play:3 has much of that + amp and speakers for a similar cost, is there a sense in which the XP90 is priced oddly? Especially since the DAC in the 90 isn't supposed to be the best.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It's the only one with outputs but the pricing is largely historical. Back in the day it was just that and the zp120, so the 90 was the cheap option. Now of course it looks expensive next to the play:3 but you really can't do the same things with a 3 that you do with the 90.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Twill said:
Why do you think the Sonos ZP90 costs as much as it does? Isn't it essentially just the Sonos network capability with a DAC and a couple of outs? When you think the Play:3 has much of that + amp and speakers for a similar cost, is there a sense in which the XP90 is priced oddly? Especially since the DAC in the 90 isn't supposed to be the best.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the ZP90 dac, in fact I sold my Rega Dac as I really couldn't tell the difference.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Twill, I agree, it's strange. I had a similar thread a week or two back. My point was that you could buy a PS3, which also does music streaming plus photo and movie streaming, web browsing, BD, DVD and even games, for £100 less than a ZP90/Connect.

I can't see how they can justify the cost nowadays. Obviously people are happy to pay for the system, so that's fair enough, but I couldn't justify it personally

I ended up going with an Apple TV based set-up as the missus doesn't like PS3s so much. Fair enough, a PC has to be on or else you have to use Airplay from an iPod/iPhone, but I'm very happy with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts