sonos Vs Fubar usb dac

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I have just started to rip my cd collection to apple lossless and store it on my NAS (synology 210j)

I can't decide to opt for either the fubar usb DAC and use itunes via my laptop or go the sonos route!

Is there a clear difference in sound quality between the two, if so what??? I like the cost of the DAC but dont like to have to use the laptop "docked" to the DAC... like the functionallity of the sonos but not the cost!!

If the sonos sounds significantly better then I will have to start a second paperround to pay for it.

comments please

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you are certainly paying for the functionality of Sonos, so it's possibly an unfair price comparison.

If you have an offboard NAS, then Sonos is a really superb option, giving you the ability to have music on without faffing around turning on computer etc.

Can't comment on the relative sound quality of the fubar, but the DAC in my ZP90 gives (to my ears in any case) a virtually indistinguishable sound to my Cyrus CD6SE. I think that it could be bettered, but to all intents the sound quality is pretty darn good.

How about keep an eye out for the bits on ebay to get you started on the Sonos route - I got a ZP80 second hand (no probs) and a Zone bridge second hand, and that got me started. Subsequetly added a controller and a few other zones as funds allowed. You don't need a controller if you are happy to use the laptop or you have an iphone or ipad - get the app. So although the bundle price is about £800, if you went that route you could get started for say £250ish, and if you don't get on with it sell on again on the bay for little loss. My bet is that once you get signed up to spotify/napster/last fm/ etc, you won't look back!

good luck....

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice...

Decission made and it looks as if I am off down the sonos path. For me the functionallity wins over cost (doesn't it allways).

For now I'll stick with the laptop to control it, then get the Iphone app as soon as I change my current phone contract runs out.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps this is slightly redundant as it looks like you've already made the decision, but I find that my zp90 plugged into the digital input of my amp sounds a little better than my macbook connected the same way. So if you decide to upgrade the Sonos with a DAC later you'll be getting the best of all worlds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts