Sonos Spotify high bit rate

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Quick ? Does Spotify on Sonos automatically stream in the higher bit rate due to having to have a premium account or do you have to enable the high bit rate manually. If so how do you do it? cheers

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's higher as when I did a track for track comparison with Napster you could hear the difference. Not very scientific I know...

A

Anonymous

cheers Lee,

I know not all tracks are in the higher bit rate on Spotify. It sounds very good, just can't seem to find an actual answer.

D

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
same ad hoc testing with me. Napster sounded terrible. Now if only they could solve the lack of service availability issues....

A

Anonymous

I agree with you about Napster, people always rave onto me about how good it is. It does sound pants. Spotify has a much better user interface as well IMOP.
Also the Sonos IPad controller app is simply ace, so user friendly. What a winner!

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I put the same three tracks in a playlist, one from Napster, one from Spotify and one in Flac. I picked recent releases so the quality should be OK. I gave my wife the controller, she hit shuffle and I tried to spot which was which. It really wasn't too hard, but the Spotify/Flac was the toughest one.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'd have thought just specifying a Premium username for Spotify would mean you'd get the higher bitrate, might be wrong, don't know why I bothered to say anything really as I have no idea...

A

Anonymous

Well I enjoyed your comment anyway. I know the world is not going to stop turning if this matter isn't resolved, however, I still must know the answer to my question.

p.s. Sonos rocks

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Spotify premium will not automatically stream at 320kbps. You need to go in to preferences and tick 'enable high bitrate' under 'sound'.

A

Anonymous

I know you can do that using pc or Mac. but where do you change it when using Sonos?

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that settting is in the Sonos software. Certainly in the spotify software but that doesn't have any direct link to Sonos and doesn't actually have to be installed for Sonos to work with spotify

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:I know you can do that using pc or Mac. but where do you change it when using Sonos?

If you change it for user account surely that will remain in place regardless of where you listen to Spotify from?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:brittondave:I know you can do that using pc or Mac. but where do you change it when using Sonos?

If you change it for user account surely that will remain in place regardless of where you listen to Spotify from?

That would be a good assumption but I have used Spotify on different computers and had to change the setting to the higher bit rate on each one .

This is driving me bonkers! surely as Spotify Premium is one of the main features of Sonos then it should automatically be in the higher bit rate. That would make perfect sence. I just can't find any info that backs this up anywhere. Just speculation

daveh75

the_lhc:brittondave:I know you can do that using pc or Mac. but where do you change it when using Sonos?

It must do. I only ever enabled higher bitrate on my main PC, but when i've logged in from other PCs it was already enabled.

A

Anonymous

Can any one from What Hi Fi who is Techy answer the question?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:surely as Spotify Premium is one of the main features of Sonos

But it isn't, especially given that it's only available to a subset of Sonos users (ie not in the US).

A

Anonymous

daveh75:

It must . I only ever enabled higher bitrate on my main PC, but when i've logged in from other PCs it was already enabled.

I think I must be going bonkers Dave, I will log on to a different computer tonight and use Spotify to check. But this hasn 't been my experience in the past.

unless I have Gremlins

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Just asked Sonos and Spotify on Twitter.

Spotify say - Sonos will always stream at the highest rate available.

Sonos say - Spotify streams at high quality, 320 kbits/s

A

Anonymous

Lee H:
Just asked Sonos and Spotify on Twitter.

Spotify say - Sonos will always stream at the highest rate available.

Sonos say - Spotify streams at high quality, 320 kbits/s

Thanks very much Lee you are a star!

idc

It does seem odd that you have to enable high bit rate yourself rather than it automatically happening when you go to Premium. But you do need to do it in Spotify. It is like putting a DVD or a blue ray in your PS3, the PS3 will play which either one, but you decide which one to give it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts