Sonos Ray....

manicm

is a fail. Let me explain. Cos otherwise I really like the Ray.

It's supposed to be inexpensive and simple to use, but the optical connection negates the latter. 99% of new TVs, regardless of brand or price invariably have an optical port at the back, so those with wall mounted TVs will have to remove it first. Complete fail.

If I were Sonos I would have ditched the useless, redundant ethernet port, and provided a standard HDMI Arc port instead of the optical.

I'm just surprised no-one considered this.

manicm

The Ray is made to a price point. HDMI port isn't just about putting it in...... the licensing fee pushes the price up, so does eARC feature. Besides, Sonos wouldn't want the Ray to compete with the Beam or the Arc.

I agree, but as I said ditching the ethernet port for a normal HDMI port(non-Atmos) could have mitigated the cost somewhat.

I agree, but as I said ditching the ethernet port for a normal HDMI port(non-Atmos) could have mitigated the cost somewhat.
Sonos generally keeps ethernet port in all its devices, to allow at least one product to be connected directly to the router. This results in a more robust mesh network compared to all wireless. They'll never create a situation where they'll ditch ethernet port in some and not others, unless they've taken a conscious decision to completely abolish ethernet port.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts