Sonos Port or Bluesound Node 2i?

gwalker

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Want to add Spotify, Tidal & TuneIn to current hi-fi - Arcam A19 amp, Nad C516BEE cd player, Q Acoustics 3030i speakers. Already got Sonos speakers in kitchen & bedroom. Should I get the Port or the Node 2i?

I don't have either but I gather there are interoperability issues when trying to get Sonos speakers linked to a Node..
As you already have Sonos speakers I would think it better if you went with the Port.
Others, however, may have more experience than me in this department.

gwalker

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't have either but I gather there are interoperability issues when trying to get Sonos speakers linked to a Node..
As you already have Sonos speakers I would think it better if you went with the Port.
Others, however, may have more experience than me in this department.
Thanks for your reply. Don't think I'll be able to connect those Sonos to Node. Just wondering if it is worth going for the Node with the hi-fi as thought the sound might be better than a Port?

rainsoothe

If the Sonos integration is important, get the Port (I haven't heard it, might be better than what WHF review says, especially if you add a good external DAC). If not, for just a bit more money than a new Node 2i, you can get a second hand Cambridge Audio CXN V2, which is in a completely different league, and is now Roon compatible so you can bypass it's mediocre app. Otherwise, if you wanna save some dosh, get the Yamaha WXAD 10 - you can just hide it away from view, does it's job, and sounds great to boot - no digital output on this, though, so no upgradeability - it's just a "plug and forget" type of device.

shane

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
If you're building a new system or want to use the Node on it's own then that's the way to go for bet t sound quality.
I have the sonos port and i know that it has had some not so good reviews about sound quality but connected up with some descent cables and it seems to be fine to my ears . i have had no experience with the Node to give view about it.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the SONOS Connect plus Play 1's in my kitchen and living room.
If it is important to have all 3 SONOS products playing at the same time across your 3 rooms, that would be the reason to purchase the Port.
Mostly I have the Play 1's playing together (the rooms are quite close to each other, and we move from room to room frequently so that works well).
The Node according to most reports/comments I've read has a better DAC so if you really don't need the 3 rooms playing together requirement, I would go for the Node.
My Connect utilises the digital out into another DAC, so I bypass the inferior DAC in the Connect.

Reactions: Al ears

jfmerk

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
First time post here. I’ve been a long time user of a Sonos Connect, streaming Spotify to my stereo system. Recently upgraded some components and tried the Node2i and Amazon HD. Yes, very noticeable sound improvement. I use the BluOS controller for iPhone/iPad. My personal preference is the Sonos app is just so much more enjoyable to use. So easy, intuitive and stable. BluOS app not so much for me.
Today I am streaming back and forth between the Node2i and the new Sonos Port OS2. Trying to decide which way to go. Streaming to an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 dac > VTL TL2.5 Pre > Odessey Khartago Amp > Kef r11s.
Node2i presents a smooth warm sound with tighter bass. The Port sounds more detailed, although can be a bit bright sometimes even a little harsh.
I’m exploring a better power supply for the Port and would be willing to spend a few hundred bucks because I enjoy the Sonos controller so much more than the BluOS controller.
Good luck with your decision!

First time post here. I’ve been a long time user of a Sonos Connect, streaming Spotify to my stereo system. Recently upgraded some components and tried the Node2i and Amazon HD. Yes, very noticeable sound improvement. I use the BluOS controller for iPhone/iPad. My personal preference is the Sonos app is just so much more enjoyable to use. So easy, intuitive and stable. BluOS app not so much for me.
Today I am streaming back and forth between the Node2i and the new Sonos Port OS2. Trying to decide which way to go. Streaming to an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 dac > VTL TL2.5 Pre > Odessey Khartago Amp > Kef r11s.
Node2i presents a smooth warm sound with tighter bass. The Port sounds more detailed, although can be a bit bright sometimes even a little harsh.
I’m exploring a better power supply for the Port and would be willing to spend a few hundred bucks because I enjoy the Sonos controller so much more than the BluOS controller.
Check this:

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site

If you're using spotify with the node you use the spotify connect app it should tell you to open it when you select Spotify, Tidal you're still stock with BluOS unfortunately unless you're using roon

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I’ve reviewed both and I suspect the difference will come down to the system. I suspect being honest, in this system the Port will be just as adequate sound wise as the Node 2i. The Node 2i is the better streaming transport and it punches above its weight. Don’t make it a choice about hi res or not as most steaming content is much of a muchness if it’s lossless. It’s dac and not streaming transport dependent, over hi res this, MQA that, or what not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts