Question Sonos Port and................................?

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Hello all -

My idea of a HiFi system was formed back in the day when my ideal was a LP12/Grace 707/Supex SD100 front end ............................ Linn Sara hung on the back end. I loved the old Linn/Naim/Kan or Sara systems. I was lucky to own one for a number of years. Then a lot of things happened in between and now I find myself a few months away from retirement and hope to spend a couple of hours a day catching up with my long lost music enjoyment habit. The intervening decades haven't been kind to my hearing but I still love live gigs (recently The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Phil Collins........ you get the idea). I have some stake in the Sonos system environment and the sound is OK, mainly Apple Music. But it's rare I listen to it. That's going to change.

I like the idea of keeping a foot in the Sonos camp by using the new Sonos Port (it has a digital output that can be used if required) along with an amplifier and a pair of stand mount bookshelf speakers. I really haven't thought it through beyond this so all thoughts here would be welcome.

My musical tastes are predominantly rooted in the late 60's to early 80's era, but not exclusively. Whilst I love my Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Free, I also equally love my Simon and Garfunkel or Leonard Cohen.

Budget all in would be capped firm at £2000. I'm all ears. By the way, no need to play LP's CD's etc.... Just Apple Music. Thanks.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've just gone through something similar (the new system, not retirement - as things currently stand that several decades off!). At the weekend I listened to a Rotel 1792, an Arcam SA20 (both with Kef LS50) and a pair of LS50 Wireless.
Sonos is key for me, as is an amp with a decent DAC - as will be outputting Deezer (which is (apparently) better resolution than Spotify, but not as good as Tidal) via a Sonos:Connect.

My preference was Rotel but it was actually a lot bigger than expected so wouldn't fit where I need it to. I did not get on with the wireless Kefs either - and the user interface is terrible (compared to Sonos), so ended up with the Arcam and the KEF LS50s by default.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. Presently, though I have to try to listen to some of this stuff, my thoughts are to buy one of the lower end Naim integrated amplifiers and perhaps audition it with some of the Q Accoustics or Fyne Audio bookshelf speakers. Finding that combination and a Sonos Port could be rather challenging. Basically, I know how I want the sound to be (that's Linn Kan/Sara-like). I just need to find the combination that comes close. Easier said than done?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I think you're probably looking more at the Uniti series then? But the smallest one creeps above your budget. Don't think any of the Naim integrated amps have a built in DAC.

That was my limiting factor - I wanted an amp with DAC for under £1500 (or under £900 if my wife reads this).

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
I think you're probably looking more at the Uniti series then? But the smallest one creeps above your budget. Don't think any of the Naim integrated amps have a built in DAC.

That was my limiting factor - I wanted an amp with DAC for under £1500 (or under £900 if my wife reads this).
Thanks. I had my eye on the Naim Nait 5si, £1099 actually. Subject to listening of course but historically I always enjoyed the Naim "sound". I have to start somewhere though. I note the comment about the DAC. I would initially use the Sonos Port analogue output and only after if I felt the need think about an external DAC. I think finding this stuff under one roof to listen to could be a challenge to be honest. Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, have you already purchased the Sonos Port? The reason i ask is that i have just gone through a bit of back and forth and have finally settled on what i want. I pretty much always listen via Sonos whether it be streaming from my NAS or from Spotify etc. Anyway i wanted to get rid of some boxes so sold my Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and Sonos Connect but managed to keep my PSB Imagine bookshelf speakers. I replaced all this with a Sonos Play:5 but missed the Stereo imaging etc too much. So i am sending back the Play:5 and have just purchased the Sonos AMP to replace the Cyrus and Connect combination. I ordered direct with Sonos as they offer 100 day free returns policy. I have to say i am really pleased and surprised with the new AMP. Obviously very easy to set up and it sounds surprisingly good. Great bass, dynamics and some serious power at 125W. Even looks cool to me too. It's not quite got the clarity of the Cyrus but has more muscle and is a more pleasant listen i am finding. I am not saying it will sound "as good" as some of the Naim kit you've mentioned but with a free 100 day return policy may be worth a punt if you like the Sonos interface.

I don't feel like i am missing out at all. Anyway just a thought.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the input and ideas. I kind of thought I may have to buy a Sonos Port and take it with me to audition amplifier and speakers. The chance of finding everything I am interested in under one roof is pretty unlikely, I think. Your idea is another thing for me to drop into the melting pot.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input and ideas. I kind of thought I may have to buy a Sonos Port and take it with me to audition amplifier and speakers. The chance of finding everything I am interested in under one roof is pretty unlikely, I think. Your idea is another thing for me to drop into the melting pot.
Just seen this morning that Sevenoaks now have the Sonos AMP for £499 instead of £599. This includes a 6 year warranty. I think for this money it is a bargain and would also afford you a very good budget for some speakers. Personally i have noticed a big difference in changing speakers rather than amplifiers (others may disagree) so you could end up with a lovely setup assuming you like the sound of the Sonos AMP.

You should be able to demo both in Sevenoaks very easily.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Just seen this morning that Sevenoaks now have the Sonos AMP for £499 instead of £599. This includes a 6 year warranty. I think for this money it is a bargain and would also afford you a very good budget for some speakers. Personally i have noticed a big difference in changing speakers rather than amplifiers (others may disagree) so you could end up with a lovely setup assuming you like the sound of the Sonos AMP.

Thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

scene

Do you happen to know if the £499 is an offer? i.e. could I get the 30% Sonos trade-in on top of the £499, or on the original £599? Being able to get the Amp for about £350 would be very interesting...

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you happen to know if the £499 is an offer? i.e. could I get the 30% Sonos trade-in on top of the £499, or on the original £599? Being able to get the Amp for about £350 would be very interesting...
I am not certain but i don't think so. I thought the Sonos Trade up was direct with Sonos but i could be wrong. I would ring them to be certain.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Well, thanks for the input on this one. The family chief finance officer has decided to up the budget and move out of the Sonos eco system. The play 1 pair will be reused by family in their apartment. In their place is going a Naim Uniti Atom. Final decision now is between Q Acoustic 3020i or Dali Spektor 2. Thanks for the input, it's been very helpful.

For what it's worth, Apple Air Play 2 has been important in this decision and the Uniti Atom has that so we are content to leave the Sonos eco system behind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts