Sonos playbar or mid range HT package

Deezedandconfused

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have just become the proud owner of a Sony Bravia KD55X8505 4k led tv, and now need to upgrade my sound system. At present I have an old Samsung DVD 5.1 home cinema in a box but feel I need to invest in something better. Most of our viewing is done via a sky HD box and I am an avid gamer using a Playstation 4. The room in question is about 6m x 5m. My budget is around the £500 mark but could stretch a little for the right product. I am looking for some help and advice as I am not the most knowledgeable on this subject. I currently have a stereo pair of play 1’s in the room (I am very happy with the sound when streaming music via deezer or from a NAS). I am unsure whether to go for a Sonos soundbar (the stretch) and add the sub at a later date or use something like the Sony BDV- N5200W or ONKYO HT- 54505(B) set up. I have a play 3 in another room which could also be utilised. Is there any other system that could utilise the play 1’s as rear speakers through an AV receiver, or is this only possible with connect or connect amp which would probably use too much or my budget. So to summarise, should I add a Sonos soundbar to my play 1’s, go for something like Sony BDV- N5200W, or piece together some other system that will use the play 1’s as rear speakers saving me money, allowing for better components for the rest of the set up. Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No other system can use the play:1s as surround speakers and even the Connect or Connect:amp couldn't do that (they don't possess surround decoding capabilities).

Although I'm the biggest Sonos fan in the world I couldn't recommend the Playbar if you've got more than one source or you want HD audio or hdmi connections as it doesn't support any of them.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
There's clearly an issue with feeding the Sonos soundbar with the various 5.1 formats, just have a look on Amazon at the reviews of the Playbar to see what people who have bought it have said about home cinema use and it's limitations.

I can see why you would want to utilise your current Sonos kit and the addition of a soundbar and sub would be a very neat solution. But those two items together are circa £1100. For that type of money you could get an AV receiver, separate bluray player (if you needed it) and a 5.1 speaker package that would certainly give you far more surround sound performance and an improved music sound too. But these items are likely to take up more room, and placement becomes more of an issue. You would also have to find another use/room for the play 1's.

Or you could get another 'all in one' package such as the Sony N5200W (£400) but how much better will that be than your current Samsung?

If enjoying films in full surround sound was your goal, then I would suggest you look at putting together a set of home cinema separates, purchasing the items in stages - assuming you could accomodate them (and place them properly). Otherwise, I would suggest you read the reviews of the Sonos soundbar (such as on Amazon) and decide whether it will give you what you want. Another option if you can is to drop into a local hifi shop and start asking questions, and get a demo if possible. Also try to get a demo of the latest 'all in one' pakages to see if they are £400 better than your current setup.

I eventually went for a separates based system built up in stages, but that was after me doing a lot of reading and research - just take your time to decide exactly what you want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts