Sonos or squeezebox

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to get a network player that I can hook up to my hifi such as a sonos zp90or squeezebox. I don't have a nas yet but will do in the future. the player needs to support spotify and Internet radio and can be controlled via iPad or android phone without the need for pc to be on all the time. Would these do it or are there any others. The squeezebox is the receiver on amazon, ?duet but without the remote http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-930-000041-Squeezebox-Receiver/dp/B0012K87FC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318194627&sr=8-3 Thanks

nads

stumpy66 said:
Hi I'm looking to get a network player that I can hook up to my hifi such as a sonos zp90or squeezebox. I don't have a nas yet but will do in the future. the player needs to support spotify and Internet radio and can be controlled via iPad or android phone without the need for pc to be on all the time. Would these do it or are there any others. The squeezebox is the receiver on amazon, ?duet but without the remote http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-930-000041-Squeezebox-Receiver/dp/B0012K87FC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318194627&sr=8-3 Thanks

Do not bother with that reciver.

you do need the handset to set it up.

Get a Touch and then put iPeng on the iPad (or iPhone) and you will have playback on that as well. But do get a suitable NAS as well.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nads said:
Do not bother with that reciver.

You do need the handset to set it up.

Get a Touch and then put iPeng on the iPad (or iPhone) and you will have playback on that as well. But do get a suitable NAS as well.

+1 ... that's good advice ... although I believe you can control the receiver from a Squeezebox server on your PC it makes much more sense with the Duet remote. You could always get the receiver later if you wanted to opt for a multiroom setup (or another Touch). I understand the Duet receiver is not capable of 24/96 playback whereas the Touch is and the general audio quality of the Touch through its analogue outputs is perceived to be better than the duet.

nads

the reciver and the old SB3 use uld technology and there is no "development" going forward from Logitec as they are mainly working with the versions found on the touch and the Radio.

hence why there is no Logitec suport for Spotify for the reciver or SB3 just some rather fine 3rd party add on from Triode(?).

Also the Touch DAC is wy better. ;)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
stumpy66 said:
without the need for pc to be on all the time.

unfortunatelly you've got no choice but to have your PC on all the time when listening to your music (excluding internet radio or spotify). until of course you get a NAS. a streamer has to be able to stream from some network attached HDD and the only option at the moment will be one on your PC.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi I spen the best part of two years beore taking the plunge to Sonos the whole house. I couldn't decide whether to keep all my gear or not. I'm still ripping my all my cd's to FLAC and would advise that you budget for a NAS drive, and software that will rip to FLAC and create mp3 s for the personal players. saves a lot of time. One word of caution is how much your wifi gets used. My research showed that with my son playing online war games, my wife doing some simple surfing or watching BBC Iplayer, then there would be dropouts with Squeezbox. Sonos doesn't do this because it has its own network and also each unit extends the network. This is relevant if you live in a large old house with thick walls and where there are lorts of 'other' signals on the same channel. I borrowed both sets of kit to try this out in our 5 bedroom house and Sonos was better at the wifi broadcasting. I was only required to change to channel 6 from channel 1 once because of outside interference. Sonos has both Android/Iphone software and both my wife and son say that its like using a big ipod (Result!!). It will also do everyhthing else that you want, and if you buy the P5s they are good for the garage, garden and quite a way from the house.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts