How To Sonos NAS and Format. With iProducts.

nads

Ok I am helping some friends out by bringing them into the 20th C .

they have a Sonos set up multi units and use Apple products. Phones pads and macs.

just wondering what format would you rip the CDs in for use in both the Sonos and iProduct world?

I rip flac and iTunes and keep my files separate but I don’t have a Sonos.

and looking at a four bay NAS as there is a shed load of CDs though will only populate 2 bays to start with.

thoughts? Advise?

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Synology NAS which I use for music to my Naim Musos and ripped DVDs and BluRays to my TV.

I've previously been an Apple user but have since switched to Samsung mobile devices. Because of this I have a lot of music ripped through iTunes. Anything newer has been ripped as FLAC. I've kept anything ripped losslesly in iTunes (ALAC) and re-ripped everything as FLAC which had been ripped in iTunes lossy (I think it was AAC).

Sonos will handle both FLAC and ALAC as well as the Apple lossy files but as hard disc space is inexpensive why not just go "full fat" and rip all as ALAC? This will work seamlessly with the iDevices too. When I had Apple they made using FLAC a real pain. Not sure if this has improved or not these days. I don't believe there is any real difference between ALAC and FLAC in either quality or file size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts