Sonos convert

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and popped into Richer Sounds and it didn't take long for me to be seduced by the modest size and decent output of the Play:5.

One is now settled nicely into the kitchen with the other being delivered FOC (as out of stock) on Tuesday.

I was a bit worried when I first switched it on but after about an hour or so the sound 'warmed' up and the whole family are loving it.

They will replace:
in the kitchen a 20 year old 'boom box' which has been playing from only the left channel for about 6 months;
in the bedroom a flaky airport express being fed FLAC from my NAS (using DS Audio to link the two).

Finally we can get Radio 2 and Absolute Radio at decent quality. :grin:

Badlands

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Well done on the Play 5.
I am after either Play 3's or 5's but can not make my mind up.
Is your kitchen big ? do you think the Play 3 would of been to small.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
The 5 is plenty loud in our kitchen which is about 15' x 50'. I imagine the 3 would have been fine at reasonable sound levels.

I've got the loudness setting switched off as it was a bit boomy before. But that could be because it is in a corner. We're updating the kitchen soon so it's only staying there temporarily though.

Badlands

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I see, the same thing has been said from what I have asked other people, the Play 3 in the kitchen was met with, another Play 3 would be ideal, but the Play 5 is adequate. but two is better than one, but I suppose two 5's is better than one.
I need 4 rooms done and its going cost quite a bit if I double up.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I am more than happy with the sound coming from the Play:5 for the kitchen and bedroom but you shouldn't expect it to compete with a 'real' stereo setup - the internal speakers are too close together for stereo imaging.

But if you want a simple way to access loads of music at good quality it seems perfect.

If you want 'real' stereo then a Connect: Amp attached to a couple of speakers around the £150 mark should give you a pretty good system at lower cost than multiple Play:3/5 components.

Badlands

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I will keep away from doubling up as I agree with you, and I don't want two speakers with amps all over the house.

So I might get the Play 5's and maybe just one Play 3.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Are you sure you'd need the subwoofer? It's got a fair bit of bass and you can always 'tune' it by backing it upto a wall.

It would be more a case of 'want' rather than 'need'. :rockout:

I do listen to a lot of electronica that has plenty deep bass though so a sub would definitely be put to good use.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Rocks, doesn't it. Even better as a stereo pair.

Are you really using the system in your signature? - What happened to the Naims, PMC's etc etc?

Sorry for de-railing the thread, was just curious

regards

John Duncan

drummerman said:
John Duncan said:

Are you really using the system in your signature? - What happened to the Naims, PMC's etc etc?

regards

Yes, I really am.

The Uniti went quite a long time ago because I had a full Cambridge system I was testing long term and Mrs JD was fed up with all the EDITED lying around the house. I sold the PMCs recently ostensibly to get a new camera but things didn't quite work out like that, so not sure what will happen next. Tempted to get the new KEF actives to see what they're like, but failing that I might get some Iotas. In the meantime, am enjoying the system very much for what it is.

John Duncan said:
drummerman said:
John Duncan said:

regards

Yes, I really am. The Uniti went quite a long time ago because I had a full Cambridge system I was testing long term and Mrs JD was fed up with all the EDITED lying around the house. I sold the PMCs recently ostensibly to get a new camera but things didn't quite work out like that, so not sure what will happen next. Tempted to get the new KEF actives to see what they're like, but failing that I might get some Iotas. In the meantime, am enjoying the system very much for what it is.

Get AVI, if the manufacturer sells you that is. ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
drummerman said:
John Duncan said:

regards

Yes, I really am. The Uniti went quite a long time ago because I had a full Cambridge system I was testing long term and Mrs JD was fed up with all the EDITED lying around the house. I sold the PMCs recently ostensibly to get a new camera but things didn't quite work out like that, so not sure what will happen next. Tempted to get the new KEF actives to see what they're like, but failing that I might get some Iotas. In the meantime, am enjoying the system very much for what it is.

Careful JD, that way lies madness...... :pray:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
drummerman said:
John Duncan said:

regards

Sounds good JD

regards

manicm

John Duncan said:
drummerman said:
John Duncan said:

regards

And you're still being very secretive about the shiny box, what gives? Also, little birdie told me CA will release a Stream Magic 8 in the near future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts