SONOS Connect (ZP90) - which AMP and Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
: :help:

I have recently purchased a SONOS connect and connected it to a NAD C326 BEE AMP and Monitor Audio BX1's. The Speakers blew up (not impressed) and I have decided I want an upgraded AMP. I have a budget of £800 for both items (I have sold the NAD amp) and I am really interested in getting the best quality sound for this price. I am considering the Arcaydis DM1's with a Rega Brio R, but i am wonering if anyone else has any other suggestions or ideas. The AMP will only be connected to the SONOS (and perhaps a CD player) so it does not need lots of functions/inputs, just the best quality sound I can get. The speakers are wall mounted and need to be no more than Height 31cm, Depth 24cm and width of 20cm. Your help will be most appreciated. Thanks.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. As you don't need other inputs (maybe CD) perhaps you could run the Sonos straight to a power amp rather than through a preamp or integrated. I'm not technical enough to know if this is ok.

Another worthwhile consideration is a int amp with digital input. There will be spares for your CDP.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
jjw20 said:
: :help:

I have recently purchased a SONOS connect and connected it to a NAD C326 BEE AMP and Monitor Audio BX1's. The Speakers blew up (not impressed) and I have decided I want an upgraded AMP. I have a budget of £800 for both items (I have sold the NAD amp) and I am really interested in getting the best quality sound for this price. I am considering the Arcaydis DM1's with a Rega Brio R, but i am wonering if anyone else has any other suggestions or ideas. The AMP will only be connected to the SONOS (and perhaps a CD player) so it does not need lots of functions/inputs, just the best quality sound I can get. The speakers are wall mounted and need to be no more than Height 31cm, Depth 24cm and width of 20cm. Your help will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Based on this brief, I would suggest a second hand pair of AVI ADM9* active speakers (where the asterisk stands for any of the variants). These are a self contained pair of active speakers with built in DAC and pre-amp, so you'd just need to connect your Sonos to them with an optical cable. In my opinion and experience this would get you the best possible sound for your money.

Many other people will share my opinion. Many will not. For some reason, and with the blame probably lying partially in both camps, any thread where AVIs get recommended tends to degenerate into a slanging match. If that happens then I apologise for lighting the touch paper and I hope you get lots of useful suggestions to try before that happens.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Dan but I already have speaker cables pre wired into the extension I built, so it really needs to be an amp/speaker option to avoid running cables or power leads.

jjbomber

Why not try the next MAs in the queue, the Silver RX1. These are just about in your size requirements at 31x24x19. Retail at £425.

Amp? Marantz PM6004, Brio as you said, Rotel RA-04SE would be favourites but I like the Denon PMA-710. It's an oldie but goodie.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you are considering the Arcaydis, what about the EB Acoustics as well.

Id contect them and ask for amp recommendations too.

Rchard Allen posts quite often on here (not seen any recently).

If you address a thread to him you should get a response.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah :). Pity.

The EB1s are okay for height and width. BUt the depth is 27cm

but as they're rear ported maybe not great for wall mounting. How did I miss that in OP. Arcaydis too.

Still worth a call.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Just seen these. My father in law has 4 of these on the wall with Arcam running it and sounds very nice. Assuming your only going to be listening at low to medium volumes? Try and get a demo of the newer tablette with the marantz/rega etc see what you think.. The new ones will sounds slightly better but you'll get an idea of the sound. They fit your size specification too :cheers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROAC-TABLETTE-50-speakers-/251215770153?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7da07229&_uhb=1

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments, I have just purchased the Rega Brio R amp and ordered the Dynaudio X12's. had a demo and it was a no brainer! Spent too much money........ But what the heck!

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
jjw20 said:
Thanks for your comments, I have just purchased the Rega Brio R amp and ordered the Dynaudio X12's. had a demo and it was a no brainer! Spent too much money........ But what the heck!

x12's are great speakers and a lot of people say good things about the Brio R.. Enjoy :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts