Sonos Connect as a streamer

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Evening all. Interested in thoughts on the sound quality of the Sono Connect for streaming into an outboard DAC using a wired connection (preferrably). Appreciate the quality is limited to lossless CD rather than hi res but do you think the unit is fit for purpose to feed your system?

Bluesound Node 2 seems to be another option but I'm a bit picky about the software which doesn't sound as developed as Sonos and a desktop app is key

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I use a Sonos connect as a streamer in my setup and find it really easy to use. Never had any issues with performance or sound quality. I mainly use it for spotify and digital radio but lots more apps such as tidal, Apple etc.. are available through Sonos. App is easy to use and it also works with spotify connect.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've used a ZP90 (Connect) at home for years, but direct comparison to the Node II shows how much the quality of the Connect is lacking. It's a good bit of kit, and worth it for £279, but not if quality is first and foremost on the agenda.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
I've used a ZP90 (Connect) at home for years, but direct comparison to the Node II shows how much the quality of the Connect is lacking. It's a good bit of kit, and worth it for £279, but not if quality is first and foremost on the agenda.
I would have agreed with that until I hooked my Connect up to the M DAC+, now it doesn't sound far off my high end CDP.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
The sound quality per say mostly depends on the dac if similar res files are used in the streaming process. More expensive streamers may have better inbuilt dacs/ better functionality and apps, but if even a modest price streamer does the job requirements when it comes to app and file type required, the decoding to analogue section shoulkd decide the sound quality.

I have a CCA feeding a Monitor Audio A100 and sending flac via third party apps and its pretty good (for 30 pounds), but the MA is doing the dac duties

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I have both a Sonos Connect and a Bluesound streamer feeding my current main system.

The Bluesound streamer is actually built-in to a NAD ""Master Series" M50 digital music player (streamer, CD player/ripper) feeding an M2 direct digital amp (all digital, DAC'less conversion at the power amp output stage). n.b. That's a very highly regarded combo that had a rrp of £7000.

The Sonos feeds the M2 via its digital co-ax output.

I've also played them through an MDAC into a Sugden A21SE and a Rega Elicit-r.

I use both Tidal and Spotify and find that the sound quality from streaming services is indistinguishable between the two streamers, regardless of amp/DAC combinations. It's excellent.

I find the Bluesound control app to be lacking in several ways compasred to the ever so slick and easy Sonos app; however Bluesound is Hi-res capable, if that matters to you. Sonos is just so easy to use and the independant wireless Mesh network (I have a Bridge and 4 other Sonos players around the house), at least in theory, should be taking the strain away the home wifi network.

Another option you should seriously look at, is the Auralic Aries Mini. Very highly recommended and a veritable bargain.

z

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts