Sonos/BBC via TuneIn dropping out?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello

Since this morning my BBC radio TuneIn via Sonos has had horrendous drop-outs (it loses connection for 2-3 mins, then comes back, then drops out again). I've experienced it for Radio 4 and Radio 2.

Its happening on 2 differnent Sonos devices, it doesn't happen with Jazz FM (also via TuneIn), nor does it happen when I use Deezer via Sonos. I've changed my wireless channel, but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced similar? I had this years ago with XFM, but Radio 4 is the sound of my morning so I cannot live without!

thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
Hello

Since this morning my BBC radio TuneIn via Sonos has had horrendous drop-outs (it loses connection for 2-3 mins, then comes back, then drops out again). I've experienced it for Radio 4 and Radio 2.

Its happening on 2 differnent Sonos devices, it doesn't happen with Jazz FM (also via TuneIn), nor does it happen when I use Deezer via Sonos. I've changed my wireless channel, but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced similar? I had this years ago with XFM, but Radio 4 is the sound of my morning so I cannot live without!

thanks

For BBC radio I just use the BBC radio app, directly, from my phone (or tablet) without a 'middleman' like TuneIn.

Do Sonos allow that? Can you stream from the BBC iPlayer Radio app directly?

Have you done a speed test of your internet connection? Is it as fast as you would normally expect?

Presumably you have re-booted your router?

I'm guessing there is some problem with your ISP's local kit if it just suddenly happened with no changes on your part.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Yep, speed is a constant 42 Mbps on the non 5g band, and 76 Mbps on 5g. Not rebooted router as didn't seem relevant given Deezer and other TuneIn stations (not to mention Netflix and general browsing) working fine, but will do so now.

EDIT: Tried resetting and made no impact. Will try Sonos themselves. They're very responsive, but they've never actually managed to solve any problem I've had...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
Yep, speed is a constant 42 Mbps on the non 5g band, and 76 Mbps on 5g. Not rebooted router as didn't seem relevant given Deezer and other TuneIn stations (not to mention Netflix and general browsing) working fine, but will do so now.

EDIT: Tried resetting and made no impact. Will try Sonos themselves. They're very responsive, but they've never actually managed to solve any problem I've had...

This might be worth a read ...

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/bbc-radio-problems-on-tune-in-6764681

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks Chebby. I had googled but didn't find that. In the meantime I've submitted a diagnostic and emailed them so will give them 24 hours before I re-programme all my BBC Feeds.

scene

Dumb questions...

Have you made sure your Sonos software is up to date (across all your devices)?

Also are any of your Sonos devices hardwired, or are they all WiFi based?

What ISP are you using (and which of their offerings) to connect to the internet?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Software is fully uptodate (i'm normally a beta tester, but currently on the usual app). It's SSE's mega fibre bb, and I've got excellent speed. Connection is via WiFi. Once device is hardwired, but it seems to start the mesh using the virtual network in the kitchen (TP-Link). Now I know that's something Sonos don't support across virtual networks, but it worked fine yesterday (and has done so over the past 15 months). Nothing changed today, so confused as to why is suddenly doesn't work just for BBC...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts