Sonos artwork mystery?

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

i'd be grateful for a bit of advice with this. I've got 700 plus albums ripped on my NAS and all the artwork shows up on Sonos except about 5-6 albums. The files all have the artwork embedded by db power amp and it all shows up fine in windows, each album folder has the apptopriate picture in it named folder.jpg and they're all 750 x 750 resolution. I've tried deleting and re ripping, re embedding the artwork, all no good, so now I'm stumped - anyone else had this issue? Be really grateful if anyone has a fix. Oh and it's the same on the desktop controller as on my iPhone.

Confused, Essex

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
BillDay66 said:
Hi all

i'd be grateful for a bit of advice with this. I've got 700 plus albums ripped on my NAS and all the artwork shows up on Sonos except about 5-6 albums. The files all have the artwork embedded by db power amp and it all shows up fine in windows, each album folder has the apptopriate picture in it named folder.jpg and they're all 750 x 750 resolution. I've tried deleting and re ripping, re embedding the artwork, all no good, so now I'm stumped - anyone else had this issue? Be really grateful if anyone has a fix. Oh and it's the same on the desktop controller as on my iPhone.

Confused, Essex
I am sure some one will know the answer I only managed to get about a dozen albums with artwork I couldn't be bothered after many attempts I gave up and gave my sonus to my son who is much better at sorting out this sort of thing than I am good luck

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Without being able to sit down and study the tags in each case that's going to be almost impossible to diagnose remotely.

In reply to Toyota man though it's not that difficult, you just need to rip properly, embedding the artwork into the files, that's all I do, there's no trick to it. Using decent software helps though.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had problems with certain artwork not showing up when I embedded the artwork with the files. I removed all the embedded artwork and now just put a jpg of the album artwork (folder.jpg) in each album folder now, it works fine.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Without being able to sit down and study the tags in each case that's going to be almost impossible to diagnose remotely. In reply to Toyota man though it's not that difficult, you just need to rip properly, embedding the artwork into the files, that's all I do, there's no trick to it. Using decent software helps though.

Yeah I know, all the tags are correct, pictures are within the size limits, embedded in the tags and in the folders. I'ven tried removing the downloaded artwork and manually adding my own.

I know its not THAT important, its just I don't like getting beat! |(

Was hoping somebody may have experienced the same and have a simple answer!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
There is a maximum size for artwork for Sonos to display:

1024x1024 pixels

256kb

If your artwork exceeds these, SONOS won't display them

Apparently for the iOS and Android controller apps there is no limit, although a large file size might take a little while to pull over the network.

A couple of other possibilities gleaned from the Sonos forum, Sonos doesn't like jpgs that are interlaced, opening the image file in an editor, making a do nothing change and then saving it again may fix that, the file extension must be in lower case, so .JPG won't work and finally if the tags are in v2.3 they may not work, opening the tags in a tag editor and saving them as v2.4 should fix that.

Other than that I can't think of anything else.

scene

I was basing my answer on this posting from Sonos customer help: Album Art

- It actually quotes a 320kB limit for iDevices

- But it is from 2004, so has this advice been updated?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
I was basing my answer on this posting from Sonos customer help: Album Art

- It actually quotes a 320kB limit for iDevices

- But it is from 2004, so has this advice been updated?

The post I nicked that from was from today or yesterday.

TRENDING THREADS