sometimes fleebay works ...

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
I dont post much here ,but i had to brag and my uneducated freinds would not understand
smiley-laughing.gif

For a long time i hava been in search of my teenage audio nevana . My father used to have a pair of kef 104.2 speakers,and i spent hours listening to them just amazed that everythig i threw at them was dealt with with stunning acuracy and clarity. This was back in 1985 when they were a very new design . after moving out on my own i never heard them again . but after 20 years i got back into stereo so decided to start where i thought i knew.

Up until today i have owned 3 pairs . all have sounded ok but never really felt the same as i remembered . I just put this down to youfull exuberance. Even though i know that the t33 tweeters suffer from ferrofluid deteriation and the foam surrounds rot .

This means that my dailly hifi speaker is (was) my pair or kef reference 203/2 bought from unilet hifi new 6 years ago for quite some money .

Now . Last week i saw on fleebay a pair of 104.2's verry local to me saying they need new base speaker surounds, 1 tweeter doesnt work and the photo being taken with a mobile made the cabinets look realy shabby.

Anyway to cut a long storry short i put a bid of £150 ,and wone . When i got them home they turned out to be some of the verry last made . the cabinets were almost perfect.The twweeter had come unpluged from its plate behind the removable mid enclsure . and the tear in the base surround foam turned out to be no more than what looked like a pet probabbly a cats claw ( a dab of ruuber glue ,about 5 mm sorted it out )

Anyway after this quick fix ,i can now say it was nothing to do with being a teenager . these speakers sounding like they are in or near factory tolerance have blown me away again . so much that my oriental tinny 203/2 are in the study collecting dust ...
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

Well done on the find...it's a great story & seems you are in audio heaven once again for very little outlay...brilliant, keep us posted on how it's working out for you.
all the best
Benny.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a fleabay success too, albeit less dramatic, a few weeks ago. I used to own a pair of Foundation heavy steel pillar stands which they made for Celestion in the 80s, but stupidly sold them at one point, as I've used various standmounts since and not heard a better stand. Another point was that they were 50cm high as opposed to the current standard 60cm - often too high for some listening positions.
Anyway, there was a pair in a small town 12 miles away for £14! Snapped them up and they guy fished them out of his garage and apart from a lack of spikes and a few scuffs round the base, they're superb with my Revolver RW16s!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Excellent. For £150 you can't go far wrong. Great when you buy something described as faulty and it turns out to be a very easy repair to get it going again.

My hi-fi fleebay purchases, listed in order starting from most recent:

Electro Voice Patrician 800 speakers with some JBL centre speakers - US$9000 plus shipping costs and import duties. These should arrive here in a few weeks time.

Pioneer SF-700 active crossover with Pioneer reverberation amp - £220.

Electro Voice Sentry III speakers - £415. Had a faulty tweeter plus rotten bass foam surrounds as desribed in listing. A new diaphragm plus foam surrounds for a total of £85 plus 4 hours of my time fixed them.

EMT 950 with EMT TSD15 SFL cartridge - 2500 Euros. This was "Top zustand" as described.

Coincident Frankenstein 300b monoblok prototypes - US$1650 plus shipping costs and import duties.

Ashly XR1001 active crossover - US$180.

Bozak Symphony speakers - £500. Needed to actively bi-amp them to get them working properly.

EMT 930 - £1919. Needed a new idler wheel for £105 and some oil £25.

Various 1000 lp job lots costing from £30 to £45 - some had about 20 pop and rock records I wanted to keep and didn't already have, some had 350 pop and rock records I wanted, the best was 1000 classical records sorted A to Z by composer.

Original Sound Organisation turntable table £15.

A

Anonymous

lindsayt said:
Excellent. For £150 you can't go far wrong. Great when you buy something described as faulty and it turns out to be a very easy repair to get it going again.

My hi-fi fleebay purchases, listed in order starting from most recent:

Electro Voice Patrician 800 speakers with some JBL centre speakers - US$9000 plus shipping costs and import duties. These should arrive here in a few weeks time.

Pioneer SF-700 active crossover with Pioneer reverberation amp - £220.

Electro Voice Sentry III speakers - £415. Had a faulty tweeter plus rotten bass foam surrounds as desribed in listing. A new diaphragm plus foam surrounds for a total of £85 plus 4 hours of my time fixed them.

EMT 950 with EMT TSD15 SFL cartridge - 2500 Euros. This was "Top zustand" as described.

Coincident Frankenstein 300b monoblok prototypes - US$1650 plus shipping costs and import duties.

Ashly XR1001 active crossover - US$180.

Bozak Symphony speakers - £500. Needed to actively bi-amp them to get them working properly.

EMT 930 - £1919. Needed a new idler wheel for £105 and some oil £25.

Various 1000 lp job lots costing from £30 to £45 - some had about 20 pop and rock records I wanted to keep and didn't already have, some had 350 pop and rock records I wanted, the best was 1000 classical records sorted A to Z by composer.

Original Sound Organisation turntable table £15.

electro-voice-patrician-800-speakers-vintage-50s-60s_320708962368.jpg

lordy :O

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've recently bought a NAD amp & CDP plus MA speakers and cables as a job lot for just over £200 and have sold everything seperately for £350, only one item sold via Ebay too. I only did it out of interest to see if I could make a decent profit, I'm not moving into the 2nd hand hi-fi game though.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
I had a fleabay success too, albeit less dramatic, a few weeks ago. I used to own a pair of Foundation heavy steel pillar stands which they made for Celestion in the 80s, but stupidly sold them at one point, as I've used various standmounts since and not heard a better stand. Another point was that they were 50cm high as opposed to the current standard 60cm - often too high for some listening positions. Anyway, there was a pair in a small town 12 miles away for £14! Snapped them up and they guy fished them out of his garage and apart from a lack of spikes and a few scuffs round the base, they're superb with my Revolver RW16s!

Foundation Stands were the bees knees, I have a pair of the 4 pillar, fabricated base, 'Foundation Designer stands', absolutely stunning with LS35a's for which they were designed, but they work with many other small speakers too. Twenty one inches was always the right height . . . surprising how big (tall) a speaker can be put at 21", my own LB1 Studio monitors cabinets are double the height of a 35a, but sound and look fine. I wonder what an audio file would pay for a new pair of Foundation stands if they were available again??? They were pricey in the 80's CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts