Something like network storage without the pc switched on?

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I could pick your brains please.

I would like to store as many of my cd's on some sort of device that I could then attach to my amplifier without my PC being switched on. Possibly over a wired network, so I would assume a NAS and possibly some form of DAC. However this is where I stumble. I don't really want to link the network to my main PC and wireless is not really workable at the moment. This would only be a temporary setup as I am going to be moving some time in the future.

Any suggestions at all? No idea of the budget requirements and I would prefer to rip my cd's as lossless as possible.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction as all my searches on the internet have confused me beyond sanity.

Thanks.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Look at the SONOS system together with a NAS
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I've got a Drobo with 2Tb of storage with Droboshare (for the wireless bit)

http://drobo.com/products_droboshare.html

As a storage solution it's great, but be aware that the reliability of playback will be dependant on the speed of your wireless (or wired) network.

Also NAS solutions are not particularly cheap. I decided to go for it after a LaCie hard drive failed with all my music on it!

HTH

A

Anonymous

If you have a television near to your audio gear you could start with a media player like the wd live or an ac ryan. This would be the cheapest solution I think, and you also have hd video. Look at PJPro's posts on the WD.

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I think I get the idea or at least I am starting to. I have now looked at the different options on their websites but I still have a little confusion. I may be missing it on the websites but I don't see the bit that I really want. If I connect a nas to either system I don't want to have my pc on to select and listen to music. I don't want to have my pc in the same room as my hifi to scroll through the tracks and I want to save on electricity by not having the pc on all the time, just the nas.

Is that possible with the Sonos?

A

Anonymous

I suppose it all comes down to budget. As a more permenant solution it may be worth looking at something like the new Olive O3HD which does everything you need (cutting out the PC completely if you wish).

It also supports 192 24 bit audio and can act as a streamer as well (if the Hard disk is not enough for you).

Plenty of internet radio stations selected by Olive as well.

Sound quality should be brilliant for the money (though no reviews out there yet and I haven't demo'ed myself) though it is missing a digital out which seems to be a concern to some.

Has anyone seen any reviews or heard this unit yet? It has a different DAC to the O4HD so can't make a direct comparison to that.

Price-wise Sevenoaks are taking pre-orders at £899 and are expecting stock Monday/Tuesday.

Link here: http://www.olivehifi.com/uk/home.html

John Duncan

juxter1:
I think I get the idea or at least I am starting to. I have now looked at the different options on their websites but I still have a little confusion. I may be missing it on the websites but I don't see the bit that I really want. If I connect a nas to either system I don't want to have my pc on to select and listen to music. I don't want to have my pc in the same room as my hifi to scroll through the tracks and I want to save on electricity by not having the pc on all the time, just the nas.

Possible with lots of the options mentioned here yes, though in some ways it depends on which client you choose. Some would let you just plug in a terabyte USB drive (available for about 50 quid), the Sonos works with just a fileshare on the network, while some like Squeezebox need a proper NAS running an OS and server of some description.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Depending on your set-up it occurred to me that I already have it and you may too.

I have HDD recorder connected to my TV and amp. The HDD has a USB connection and digital out. An HDD recorder is just another computer hard drive.

I will have to try copying some things from my laptop to HDD.

nads

JohnDuncan: while some like Squeezebox need a proper NAS running an OS and server of some description.

JD sorry wrong. the Squeezebox touch does not need a NAS to run any OS you can just plug in your 1Tb USB drive as well.

emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

Sorry yes, I was kind of mixing my 'configurations' - loads of clients will work with a USB drive stuck in the back of it (except the Apple TV unless you hack it), I was getting at the difference in requirements of some wireless controllers like Squeezebox, Airport Express, Sonos etc.

But thank you for bringing my error to everybody's attention*

*smart---e

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
juxter1:

Popcorn Hour A-200 and a 1tb external drive - circa £220. Add a DAC - anything from £100 upwards and rip to FLAC.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
nads:the Squeezebox touch does not need a NAS to run any OS you can just plug in your 1Tb USB drive as well.
But according to huge numbers of posts on the old Slim Devices forums & my own personal experience, the chances of success are [pun alert] slim.

TRENDING THREADS