Some Samsung HW-Q950A newbie questions (Arc works with Qled 2017? Alexa?)

dabezt

Aug 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi my friends, I've recently adquired a Samsung HW-Q950A sound bar. It really rocks, but I've some newbie questions. So If I may, I will appreciate your help:

1.- HDMI eArc connecting to my 'old' 2017 qled Samsung QE55Q8F Tv. I've plugged the Hdmi eArc to tv soundbar connection, with the hdmi cable that comes with the sound bar, to the TV HDMI2 Arc connection.
I turn on tv and soundbar and as soundbar instructions says the soundbar will display "D.IN" and in sequence "TV ARC" but it only shows "D.IN". And the tv does not 'recognize' the soundbar as a possible audio output.
Anynet HDMI CEC seems to work because if I turn down tv and sounbar, and the turn on tv, soundbar automatically turns on also. But the same, the tv does not 'recognize' the soundbar as a possible audio output and sound bar stays at D.IN.
I've tried different HDMI wires, but it's the same.

In the tv I can see the HDMI2 connected device with the Blue check icon meaning that a device is correctly connected but with the red power off red icon meaning that this device is turned off. If selected it tells me: There's no signal o cannot find source ¿?

I've tested to connect sound bar to tv with fiber optical wire, and it works very well. Turning on tv and soundbar, now the tv recognize the soundbar as an audio/optical output: SOUNDBAR MODE (TBD), and soundbar stays with D.IN in the display and it works.
I'm able to pass the tv audio to the soundbar and to manage soundbar volume also with tv volume controls. Tested some Dolby Digital channels and it's amazing the sound I get. I've not tested yet atmos or dts:x content.

Does anybody have an idea if 2017 qled arc connection is not 'compatible' with HW-Q950a soundbar? Or maybe I'm doing somethin wrong.

BTW This is a point that not bothers me so much, but I’m really curious, because I will change my Qled 2017 tv for an LG Oled65G16LA tv :) I guess it will work well togehter the LG Tv an the Samsung soundbar

2.- Alexa: I put the soundbar mic on (soundbar says me Mic is on) and then I say: 'Alexa' and nothing happens. I'm tottaly newbie with Alexa, so I don't know what to do and how it works the soundbar Alexa assistant.
I've installed in my Samsung Galaxy smartphone the SmartThings samsung app in order to register the device and config the soundbar (I really do not like to configure in your smartphone a Samsung Account and remain it connected in order to add a new device to smarthings app).
I've configured the soundbar, and also installed when asked to do it, the Alexa App and added the soundbar as an Alexa device.
But I'm still not able to be listened or understood by the soundbar. Put the Mic On and the soundbar do not listen me... it does nothing when I say 'Alexa' or ask to do something
Any clue about this?

Thanks a lot in advance! Regards.

Tinman1952

Hi my friends, I've recently adquired a Samsung HW-Q950A sound bar. It really rocks, but I've some newbie questions. So If I may, I will appreciate your help:

1.- HDMI eArc connecting to my 'old' 2017 qled Samsung QE55Q8F Tv. I've plugged the Hdmi eArc to tv soundbar connection, with the hdmi cable that comes with the sound bar, to the TV HDMI2 Arc connection.
I turn on tv and soundbar and as soundbar instructions says the soundbar will display "D.IN" and in sequence "TV ARC" but it only shows "D.IN". And the tv does not 'recognize' the soundbar as a possible audio output.
Anynet HDMI CEC seems to work because if I turn down tv and sounbar, and the turn on tv, soundbar automatically turns on also. But the same, the tv does not 'recognize' the soundbar as a possible audio output and sound bar stays at D.IN.
I've tried different HDMI wires, but it's the same.

In the tv I can see the HDMI2 connected device with the Blue check icon meaning that a device is correctly connected but with the red power off red icon meaning that this device is turned off. If selected it tells me: There's no signal o cannot find source ¿?

I've tested to connect sound bar to tv with fiber optical wire, and it works very well. Turning on tv and soundbar, now the tv recognize the soundbar as an audio/optical output: SOUNDBAR MODE (TBD), and soundbar stays with D.IN in the display and it works.
I'm able to pass the tv audio to the soundbar and to manage soundbar volume also with tv volume controls. Tested some Dolby Digital channels and it's amazing the sound I get. I've not tested yet atmos or dts:x content.

Does anybody have an idea if 2017 qled arc connection is not 'compatible' with HW-Q950a soundbar? Or maybe I'm doing somethin wrong.

BTW This is a point that not bothers me so much, but I’m really curious, because I will change my Qled 2017 tv for an LG Oled65G16LA tv :) I guess it will work well togehter the LG Tv an the Samsung soundbar

2.- Alexa: I put the soundbar mic on (soundbar says me Mic is on) and then I say: 'Alexa' and nothing happens. I'm tottaly newbie with Alexa, so I don't know what to do and how it works the soundbar Alexa assistant.
I've installed in my Samsung Galaxy smartphone the SmartThings samsung app in order to register the device and config the soundbar (I really do not like to configure in your smartphone a Samsung Account and remain it connected in order to add a new device to smarthings app).
I've configured the soundbar, and also installed when asked to do it, the Alexa App and added the soundbar as an Alexa device.
But I'm still not able to be listened or understood by the soundbar. Put the Mic On and the soundbar do not listen me... it does nothing when I say 'Alexa' or ask to do something
Any clue about this?

Thanks a lot in advance! Regards.
Sounds like your TV is not recognising the eARC chipset in the sound bar. Have you tried contacting Samsung technical support? It looks like you are limited to the optical connection at the moment but many prefer that connection as ARC can be ‘flaky’ at times. Sometimes it works …sometimes it doesn’t...and you can get audio ‘dropouts’.
No idea about Alexa on Samsung….sorry.

Reactions: dabezt

dabezt

Aug 1, 2021
Visit site
Sounds like your TV is not recognising the eARC chipset in the sound bar. Have you tried contacting Samsung technical support? It looks like you are limited to the optical connection at the moment but many prefer that connection as ARC can be ‘flaky’ at times. Sometimes it works …sometimes it doesn’t...and you can get audio ‘dropouts’.
No idea about Alexa on Samsung….sorry.

Thanks a lot for the answer @Tinman1952

I guess it has to be a compatibility issue, because I’ve tested a new LG Oled65G16LA tv hdmi eARC connected to the sound bar and now it is recognized eARC connection between tv and sound bar…. but I was not able to get ARC connecting via HDMI arc ports 2017 Samsung qled tv to the same soundbar...

Do you think it will be better to have Optical connection? with fiber cable? instead using HDMI and eARC? Will it work same way that HDMI eARc does?

My 'scenario' is (see TV_Connections attached picture)

TV_Connections.jpg

LG OLED65G16LA TV
HDMI1 <-- SAT RECIEVER
HDMI2 (eARC) <-- SAMSUNG HW-Q950A (HDMI out eARC)
HDMI3 <-- PLAYSTATION 5
HDMI4 <-- XBOX SERIES X

And everything seems to work Ok:

- Tv and soundbar understand each other correctly. eARC, etc.

- I got special LG TV Game Mode with Ps5 and Xbox both 120hz. Tested with Xbox SX 120Fps games and it rocks!.
GameMode_XboxSX.jpg
Only thing is that Ps5 does not activate 120fps and VRR Amd FreeSync Premium but I have not game with 120fps to test in Ps5
GameMode_PS5.jpg

- Xbox series used whole surround speakers for the first time without changing anything. But Ps5 I had to change in Ps5 the sound output to Dolby instead PCM if not, I got only 'stereo' sound without surround.

- I get dolby vision and dolby atmos sound with Apple TV running apple tv app both in TV Webos app and in Xbox Series X (adding Dolby app to xbox series x system). But I do not get dolby atmos in Ps5 for example using Apple tv app. ¿?

- The only thing is I never get in the TV the Dolby atmos enable 'activated' in Sound -> Advanced... I always see the Dolby Atmos 'check button' in grey and as disabled... (DA_TvCheckDisabled.jpg attached picture)
DA_TvCheckDisabled.jpg
even when I play apple tv dolvy vision + atmos movie, when I check tv display 'info' and I can see it's Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos activated (DA_TvInfo attached picture)
DA_TvInfo.jpg

Still missing how to Alexa works in that soundbar :) but it does not bother me so much.

BTW if I connect directly the Ps5 or the Xbox to the soundbar, and the soundbar to the tv (eARC), I'm able to 'see' both in Tv and play but I do not get the special Game mode and hdmi 2.1 game features because I guess the soundbar HDMI ports are 2.0. Am I rigth?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Well with the ‘old’Samsung QLED it looks like optical is your only option!
The LG G1 is a much better solution, especially for gaming because of the HDMI 2.1 ports and ‘game’ mode options.
eARC is quite a step up from old ARC with increased bandwidth and avoids the need for HDMI CEC for example. It also allows Atmos multichannel instead of just DD+ with ARC.
LG have long had a problem with pass through of LPCM being only in stereo. I believe it’s a problem with the EDID data being transferred over HDMI in their firmware. I had to change my PS4Pro output to Dolby also to get surround sound.
The PS5 does not do Atmos (unlike the Series X). Sony want you to use their 360 reality audio instead….
You definitely need to connect your game consoles directly to the TV to get the best gaming experience and avoid bandwidth limitations.
Good luck!

Reactions: dabezt

dabezt

Aug 1, 2021
Visit site
I've noticed something wrong: If I put in LG oled65g1 TV audio output to Transfer (in order to transfer directly sound to the samsung hw-q950 soundbar) I get an error in xbox369 when enabling Dolby Atmos for Home theater: the device is not atmos compatible ¿?¿?

Why? it's supossed that sound bar is really atmos compatible! is the TV putting something wrong in the middle if the sound is transfered?

If I put Auto again (in tv audio output) I'm able ... but I think that I'm loosing audio quality and not using the whole soundbar potential... am I right? I'm loosing quality without tranfering direct??

Thanks!

dabezt

Aug 1, 2021
Visit site
To all the others users with Dolby Atmos and the LG TV Passthrough from Xbox Series X to Samsung HW-Q950A errors and issues... LG Support staff called me this morning and....

NOW IT WORKS!

LG OLED65G16LA TV (software version 03.20.12) with these connections:

HDMI1 <– Tv SAT RECIEVER
HDMI2 (eARC) <– SAMSUNG HW-Q950A (HDMI out eARC, Soundbar display shows up "eArc")
HDMI3 <– PLAYSTATION 5
HDMI4 <– XBOX SERIES X (XsX)

LG TV Settings -> Audio -> Advanced -> Audio Format, for all 4 HDMI: Bitstream

LG TV Settings -> Audio -> Advanced -> Audio output to TRANSFERENCIA (it's in Spanish, but it coudl be "Direct Transfer" or "Passthrough", instead of AUTO)

LG TV Settings -> Audio -> Advanced -> COMPARTIR MODO DE AUDIO DE TV to ON (Share TV audio mode, or somenthing like this). IT IS THE NEW 'FEATURE' THEY TOLD ME THAT HAS BEEN CHANGED IN THE LATEST FIRMWARE IN ORDER TO AVOID THIS ISSUE. Here I had Compartir modo de audio de la barra de sonido ON (share soundbar audio mode)

XsX Audio --> Bitstream + Dolby Atmos for Theatre

And NOW I do not get now the error in XsX that we got until today! And I get a Dolby Atmos in soundbar display message when I turn on tv + soundbar + xsx and playing games with Dolby Atmos support! And also when I play a Dolby Atmos stream within any App.

I've tested an AppleTV+ video with dolby atmos and I get the Dolby Atmos message in the soundbar display, AND I DO NOT NOTICE audio/video sync problems.

Cheers! Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts